Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1930 Transitone

I have a twin dial transitone in a 1930 Stutz. The speaker was rebuilt 30 years ago but I don't know about the radio itself. A number or wires run inside lead conduit to the battery box under the rear floorboards. I would like some help in determining if the unit is salvagable.
Doug

Doug,

Moving this to the appropriate Section for Auto Radios so you get more exposure here.

Chuck

Does this set have the two redish tuning dials mounted in the center of the dash? radio tuned in stages,Or does it have the "T" handle mounted on the right side of the dash? , I have a 1930 Transitone and some parts to the 29 Transitone, in your metal box under the floor is where your "B" batterys go Auto radios did not have power supplies until 1932, first was the motor generator, then the vibrator power supply .
Was this radio built by AUTOMOBILE RADIO CORPS. or PHILCO? THE 1929 and 1930 Transitones where built by ARC and not Philco, the first Philco Transitone was built in 1931 ,model TRANSITONE 3 , if you have a 29 Transitone it would originally have a horn speaker the 30 has the drum , I also have a 1931 Transitone 3, made by Philco that also uses the "B" batterys.
I have the service and installation manual for the 1930 Transitone and the same with a "TEMPLET" for the Transitone 3. I'm interseted with talking to you PLEASE contact me, BILL

BILL Wrote:Does this set have the two redish tuning dials mounted in the center of the dash? radio tuned in stages,Or does it have the "T" handle mounted on the right side of the dash? , I have a 1930 Transitone and some parts to the 29 Transitone, in your metal box under the floor is where your "B" batterys go Auto radios did not have power supplies until 1932, first was the motor generator, then the vibrator power supply .
Was this radio built by AUTOMOBILE RADIO CORPS. or PHILCO? THE 1929 and 1930 Transitones where built by ARC and not Philco, the first Philco Transitone was built in 1931 ,model TRANSITONE 3 , if you have a 29 Transitone it would originally have a horn speaker the 30 has the drum , I also have a 1931 Transitone 3, made by Philco that also uses the "B" batterys.
I have the service and installation manual for the 1930 Transitone and the same with a "TEMPLET" for the Transitone 3. I'm interseted with talking to you PLEASE contact me, BILL
Hey Bill
The radio does have 2 tuning dials in the center of the dash. The standard dash layout for a Stutz is a small group of gauges in the center. With the radio option the instruments are on both the left and right. It really is an impressive layout. I have not seen another like it. It is very similar to the photo of a lady tuning a Transitone Radio at http://www.philcoradio.com. The radio speaker has a large horseshoe shaped magnet protruding into the engine compartment. I assume this is the horn magnet. The volume control is on one side with the battery switch on the other. Although it was over 35 years ago when the car was restored, I recall seeing a portable head phone for listening while driving. The jack is there in the dashboard but the earpiece has not been seen since.
I cannot tell who made the radio as it is installed. I use the car for shows and parades a lot during the summer and the radio ellicits quite a bit of interest. I really want to be able to turn it on. During the fall of this year I want to remove it and go from there. Thank you for your help.
Doug

Sound like you have the 1929 Transitone, I've located and a got picture of one in a 1929 Stutz, that man who owns this Stutz knows of another 29 Stutz with the radio like yours ,and knows of an incomplete 29 Transitone , I've got a 1929 "TRANSITONE NEWS" a promotional paper given away at the 1929 Indianapolis 500, in that it shows a Stutz with the Transitone. I have taked with a man in New England, has a Packard with a radio that sure sounds like a 1929 Transitone.
This radio was more or less considered after market in 1929, but the 1929 Marmon had a built in antenna, designed for the Transitone!? The 1930 Transitone was on the option list for several makes ,Chrysler was one, I have a brochure from Chrysler, given away at the 1930 Detroit Auto Show , oddly Stutz did not have the Transitone on the option list for 1930? When I've found so many Stutz with the 1929 Transitone?
Your radio was made by AUTOMOBILE RADIO CORPS. and is a rare item, strangely parts show up on ebay for the 29 Transitone? mostly the dials, possibly salvaged from junked cars by ham radio operators? or left over unsold radios?
The 1930 Transitone I have I got at the Hershey,Pa. fall Antique Automobile Club of America flea matket ,it came out of a 1930 Dodge from Montana, In the 12+ years I've owned it I've not be able to find another one? I've been told it may be the only one left! I can't really believe that as Chrysler really promoted it ,but on the other hand it was the depression and at $160, many could not justify the cost.
Your speaker plug could be used with ear phones , but it was promoted as for an external speaker to be used out side the car for activitys like a picnic! Many states at that time had laws against using a car radio while the car was in motion ! sound familier?, My Transitone also has this plug.
Most likely this radio could be made to play again, it's a fairly simple TRF. I have radios back to 1921 that I've gotten to play again, check the interstage transformers, if good your 90% there, my intersages are good, BILL