Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco autoradio FT9 code 121 6v from a Ford V8 1936

Is it possible to change the power
for this radio from 6 to 12 volt.
Holger

You can use a droping resistor,available from many or the old car parts dealers.
I try to talk people out of having me do the 12 volts convertions, I feel it's really not restoring the radio , and someday someone going to find out why this car is having troubles starting on 6 volts, convert the car back and then you've got a radio that needs to be converted back!
OK now for your question, yes , Change the power transformer, vibrator and then you need 12 heater tubes ,for that set it might be a bit hard to find ,so you can put the heater's of two tubes at a time in series, or a droping resistor just in the filament circut

I'm sorry I forgot something . You'll need to do something with the speaker field coil, replace it with a pm speaker or again series it with a droping resistor or tube filament, but the radio has six tubes?, then replace the rectifier with diodes, I'd really look into a droping resistor for the complete set , another thing that was done in the old days of gum top batterys was to go over 3 cells on a 12 volt battery and tap in ,then you got 6 volts, when I was a kid I installed a 55 Studebaker radio in my dads 60 Chevy pickup, I taped into the battery, BILL