Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Attaching Dial Glass to Tenite Escutcheon

Hi,

I'm restoring a 41-245 ( http://radioatticarchives.com/images/p/P...chbaur.jpg ). This model has a tenite escutcheon with a glass dial attached using metal clips. When I got it the tenite surround was badly warped, but using a heat gun and gentle persuasion, I've succeeded in getting it acceptably straight. Overall it's in very nice shape. My problem now is re-attaching the dial glass to the escutcheon. This was originally done with metal spring clips but these are brittle and and most disintegrated during removal. Any ideas?

Seems crazy to be stumped on this, but everything else on this radio is done, including the electrical restoration. I've been pondering this now for over a week, hoping that inspiration would come. Well it hasn't so I'm looking to others for ideas!

Thanks,
Paul

Hate to suggest this, but the only thing that comes to mind is a very thin bead of clear RTV maybe? Could be bad if you needed to remove later?

Not a bad Idea Chuck. If the glass fits in flush, lay it in and put a dab on all four corners. After it cures, it should hold. In addition, if the glass has to be removed you can shave the silicone off. Just a thought.

Richard

Hi,

I think you may have it. I'd thought of using glue but had dismissed it due to its permanence. Upon taking another look, however, if I place just a dab of glue between the edge of the glass and each of the original tenite piers to which the original spring clips were attached (well, the ones that still make contact anyway), it may work.

The glue will have (i) to be flexible so that the glass won't break if (when) the tenite warps again, (ii) to not dry out and (iii) will need to be removable in the future. I don't know my glues that well, so is this a spec for RTV? Perhaps I'll add a back-up to catch the dial glass should it ever come loose.

Thanks for your input so far,
Paul

Try the rtv used for fishtank repair. Found at any fish store or Petco. Stays flexable, strong and easy to remove.

Richard

Hi,

Thanks to those who responded. I ended up using a flexible loctite Xtreme Repair Adhesive. Seems to have done the trick. I'm very happy with how this radio turned out. Here's a link to my website showing its restoration:- http://www.tuberadioland.com/philco41-245T_main.html

The before photo is here:- http://www.tuberadioland.com/images/philco41-245T_6.gif

The main challenge was straightening the tenite escutcheon and I used gentle heat from a heat gun (increasing it until the plastic just started to respond to the straightening). Others have suggested using hot water, but I didn't get that to work at safe water temperatures - I wasn't too willing to work with really scalding hot water. Until this, I hadn't thought straightening this stuff was possible. Remains to be seen how long it stays as it is however!

Paul

Great job. Radio looks excellant. Now time to move onto the next one?

Yes, excellent restoration Paul! Icon_biggrin