Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Model 700 Auto Radio Installation Instructions

Am working on one for a coworker he wants to install in his '39 Ford. Electronics looking better after I saved a very badly abused IF transformer that silenced the radio. Had a bad pot metal gear on the tuning cap that he found a perfect brass replacement for.

Does anyone have the original installation instructions that came witht he radio? the owner would like to have a copy. All I have is what Riders has.

Hi Bob, and welcome.

I looked up Model 700 in my 1931-1937 Philco auto radio manual, and it only gives the schematic, parts list and alignment info - no installation instructions, sorry.

Model 700 was designed as a "universal" fit for any automobile; it was not designed for a specific make of car.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks for checking, Ron. Sounds like Riders will have to do. I am delivering the radio today. Fired it up one more time this morning to hear it again. Pretty good performer. I did go back in and tape up a wire with bad insulation going to the speaker that bit me good when I touched it! I was replacing the front cover while the radio was playing. Either got a hold of the B+ to the output or the field coil.......The owner gave me a 1940 Motorola "universal fit" to work on next. My guess is the owner looked for original '39 Ford radios and found them a bit pricy. About 16 years ago I was about to carry away a 1935 or 36 Ford radio ( a Philco) from a yard sale for $20. A guy stepped up and said he wanted a radio for a '38 Ford which I said was not the same one. He said close enough and offered the seller $40 in food stamps.......he took the radio!

Bob Rosengarten Wrote:About 16 years ago I was about to carry away a 1935 or 36 Ford radio ( a Philco) from a yard sale for $20. A guy stepped up and said he wanted a radio for a '38 Ford which I said was not the same one. He said close enough and offered the seller $40 in food stamps.......he took the radio!
Icon_eek

If you were there first and the seller had agreed to take your $20, he should have sold the radio to you.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I don't get it because a 1935-36 Ford isn't even similar to a 1939 model, and I doubt whether the radios were either. I could see maybe a 1938-29 or 1939-40 but not 1935-39.
Not to be political but that example you gave is a prime example of why they should do away with food stamps, anyone who values $40 worth of food stamps so little that he can throw them away at a garage sale, especially for something he doesn't need, should not be getting them. Here they don't have such a thing, on welfare or unemployment, you get money, if you want to blow that money on stupid things the attitude is go ahead, starve or go to the food bank.
Regards
Arran

People can't abuse food stamps here in the USA like that anymore, Arran. These days the recipients of food stamps receive a debit card which is used just like any other debit card...the food stamp funds are put on the card electronically on the first of every month and must be used for food...the funds cannot be used for cigarettes, booze, or old car radios.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron Ramirez Wrote:People can't abuse food stamps here in the USA like that anymore, Arran. These days the recipients of food stamps receive a debit card which is used just like any other debit card...the food stamp funds are put on the card electronically on the first of every month and must be used for food...the funds cannot be used for cigarettes, booze, or old car radios.

That's good to hear that someone made some changes, I was picturing something like green stamps where people walk into a store with sheets in a book. It's a bit off topic but is the card tied to a user by name or is it like a gift card where anyone could use it. I already knew about the booze and cigarette aspect of it but was wondering if they had a way of preventing a food stamp card from being traded or sold?
Regards
Arran