Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

crosley 516 cabinet restoration

i recently purchased a cabinet for my 516 chassis and its in dreadful shape finish wise. no cracks chips etc, just many years of wear. i would like to get it refinished but i has arthritis in my hands and i cannot do it.
any idear anyone close to me that could do the job its a small tombstone probably 12 in high by 10in wide and 10 in deep. the grill cloth on it is excellent. probably original. i live in portsmouth va.
thanks so much for your help. it is a wood cabinet i do not think its veneer?

james saleeby Icon_biggrin

Jimmie-
As a fellow arthritis sufferer (RA, 100% disablility), I offer this to get your hands dirty again.

Lay some 3-4 paper towels on your radio; saturate these with denatured alcohol and cover this with a plastic bag. Wait 5 minutes. Wipe the finish off. It will be stripped nicely down to the wood with almost no effort. If you want to speed up the process, add or use acetone. A cut-down glue brush will get into the crevaces.

Even loaded up on painkillers, deadly injections, and handfuls of drugs every day, I still manage to get an hour a day into radio work. If you have RA, DMSO will get hands working again for a few hours a day- enough to make radio work fun again. Keep me informed on your progress.

Pete AI2V