Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

mrphilco's 66 before & after pics

mrphilco,
I was looking at your 66's before and after pics(from the "Another Philco save...post), and love the refinish job. My question deals with how you did the 2 tone colors as far as keeping the dark toned lacquer from getting to the parts of the cabinet it didn't belong. Was any special tape used to mask off the parts that didn't get the toner? I have a 45 butterfly that was stripped of it's original finish and refinished with just one color stain like your "before" 66 pic. I'll want to restore the 45's original 2 tone look, which means masking off parts of the cabinet that don't get dark toner. It should be a challenge. THANKS!!
Ed M.

Hi Ed

Nothing high-tech, really; the front panel was about the right color, so I basically left the lighter part of the panel alone. Using blue low-tack painter's masking tape, some newspaper, and an X-Acto knife, I carefully masked off the lighter portion of the front panel.

You need to REALLY be careful with the knife lest you scratch, cut or gouge the wood! Fortunately, the cabinet has grooves at the color borders, making the masking job a bit easier.

I shot two quick coats of Extra Dark Walnut toner on the grille area, and let that dry. Then I masked off the entire front panel and put four or five coats of Extra Dark Walnut on the edges, top and sides to really tone them down.

After an hour or so, I removed all masking tape and newspaper. You don't want to leave the tape on too long. I finished the set in clear gloss Deft overall, with a repro PHILCO decal from Rock-Sea Enterprises. The correct type grille cloth is from Radio Grille Cloth Headquarters.

If I had to do it over again, I think I would have used only one coat, or two lighter coats, of Extra Dark Walnut on the grille area, and Van Dyke Brown on the rest...but it looks pretty good, closely replicating the original factory look...especially considering the "monotone" look it had before.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

In case anyone missed the other posting, here are the "before" and "after" pics of the 66-S again...
[Image: http://www.philcoradio.com/ebay/66s_before.jpg] [Image: http://www.philcoradio.com/ebay/66s_after.jpg]

Notice how the grille area is toned, yet light enough to just show the pattern of the grain in the wood. This is the look I was after; the edges, sides and top were, and are, heavily toned to opaqueness. My 66-S cabinet had a serious flaw in the right side; the opaque toner helps hide the flaw, although it still shows somewhat even after my attempt at repairing it.

You'll want to do your 45C the same way; light coats of medium walnut on the accent pieces in front; a heavy application of Van Dyke Brown over the rest. Don't forget to go back and add the light-colored stripes in the grooves afterward...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

yikes Icon_biggrin What a difference the correct finish (and correct knobs) makes! Thats sure a neat looking radio - beautiful job.

That one and the "butterfly" (45C) have a nice dark/light contrasting look. I think the last butterfly I saw on ebay that was nicely done was over 3 bills and still climbing.

Try $659.49!!! Icon_eek

A new world record, I think.

http://cgi.ebay.com/6567889630

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hmmmm......I still can't see the gold bar inside this set, even from the rear views. Must be painted black.....

That is the one I saw, it was over 300 when I saw it and immediately uttered the phrase "Too rich for my blood", nice looking radio though. LoL I wonder if I buff up that 45F if it will bring 600+, I would probably be buffing until you know what freezes over to get the console 45 version to sell for that much.