Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 96 Whooped boy

Well guys is this radio worth the effort to restore it? http://community.webshots.com/album/482082943SEJFTX It needs TLC in the biggest way. I can steam the top veneer off and use the best sections to replace the missing lower veneer sections and I can glue the delaminated veneer back and glue the frame and clamp it back so that it is solid again. I am not sure what to do about the missing lower trim pieces, maybe make some more simplier ones and see how that looks. Thumbs up for restore or Landfill fodder???

I can hear it whining . . . . help me, help me....
It's gorgeous under there with tlc. Something to keep you off the streets this winter. Icon_wink

well - looks like a restore to me. Hows the radio and speaker?

The speaker has a slight crack/rip easily fixable and the chassis is clean with nothing missing but the dial string will need replacing. It had all the tubes but 2 (45's) and all were good and I have picked up two good 45's for it. It just looks like someone tossed or abused the cabinet over the years. I have high hopes for it, maybe make the missing trim pieces (may not be as fancy) and glue and such should bring it back.

I hereby cast my vote for "RESTORE IT." You can do it...I've seen cabinets in much worse shape...

Icon_smile

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

there may be hope yet, I started gluing and checking it out seeing what is needed and it isn't hopeless. It probably won't be 100% flawless when I am done but it should look ok unless you get out the magnifying glass out. I will add pictures as I go so that people just joining radio collecting can see how something that looked so bad can end up looking good.

49Stude63 Wrote:. . . I will add pictures as I go so that people just joining radio collecting can see how something that looked so bad can end up looking good.

Yes, please do Icon_exclaim

Enquiring Minds Wanna Know

I have to take some more pictures I have glued all the loose joints and veneer which has been time consuming because there was so many loose sections and I only have so many clamps. It appears to be shaping up good but I think in the end I may sand the top and use some filler to fix the bad spots and then use black lacquer on the top. I know some models had black lacquer tops, I'm don't think the 96 highboy is one but hopefully it won't look too out of place.

49Stude, I picked up one of these sets from an old friend of mine today...he gave it to me. Mine is mostly intact, but the "arch" surrounding the top of the front panel is cracked on the left AND right sides, the molding toward the bottom, on front of the set, is partially broken, and the skinny grille bars are delaminating. All repairable. I plan to keep this set, as I have known this gentleman for many years and until recently, he was very active in the antique radio hobby. Recently, he has begun to sell off his very extensive collection. I feel honored to have a part of his collection now as part of my collection. Icon_smile

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

For your amusement, here's a picture of my latest acquisition (Model 96 Highboy).

[Image: http://www.philcoradio.com/ebay/96hb.jpg]

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN