Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Cord automobile Philco radio

I am a newbee. I have a Philco radio for my late 1937 Cord 812 (most were Crosley's). I need help finding a correct Philco antenna. Any suggestions?

Yes Crosley supplyed both Cord and Alburn with radios ,I've worked on both Cord and Alburn radios,. I've never seen a OME Philco in a Cord , send be the model number and I'll see if I can ID it.
The Cord antenna ran under the car from left to right ,since the Cord was a front wheel drive there was no drive shaft to be in the way.
Crosley supplyed GM with radios ,until the bought out Crosley's auto radio devision

Sorry for the slow reply. Cord Crosley antennae were made of a galvanized sheet metal, and basically were 3 connected strips running front to aft. Philco antennae on Cords, were something different. Here is the confusion. Some Cords w Philcos have what basically looks like clothes line wire (also under the car). However, there is also belief that Cords w Philcos had a tubular sort of antennae with the antenna in a long oval, where the tube makes about two full loops (720º). Hopefully my attached photo will post.

Does any of this sound familiar to you Philco geeks? Also, is there anybody out there who might have a spare Cord Philco radio head?

-John Baeke
JBaeke@ParkPlaceUSA.net

Are you missing the head? ,Does your radio box have "PHILCO" on the outside of it? Philco did make OME radios for several makes , but they also had an after market line,that is what I think your radio maybe, I can find no mention of Philco Cord in my auto radio manuals, I've seen Philco head controls that look very simular to the Cord head control, a good rule of thumb is if it has the name of the radio manufacture on the outside of the radio or head control it's after market.,Get me the model number of your radio and I can check it out. And see if I have any information on the antenna

The attachment tool on this website does not accept photos, even low-res. Please give me your email address, and I will send you photos of the Cord-Philco radio. I am not doubting whether the Auburn Automobile Co. used Philco radios, heads and anetnnae on the late 1937 model Cords. My question is specifically with what the Philco antennae looked like. I will also send you a photo of the antennae as depicted on a high quality Cord model. Hopefully someone can confirm if Philco made such an antennae and if they were specifically for Cord (as were the radio and head) and if any are still out there????

-J. Baeke

email JBaeke@ParkPlaceUSA.net

(03-06-2012, 05:16 PM)BoardTrackRacer Wrote:  The attachment tool on this website does not accept photos, even low-res.

Yes, it does. Here's an example:

Attached Files Image(s)

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I got down to Hersey last week and looked at a 37 Cord ,looked under at the antenna it was two flat bars running front to back ,not left to right , no one was there to ask about the radio to find out if it was a Philco or Crosley, I did find a Cord Crosley radio in the flea market,for a sedan,it was a Crosley radio, and taked to someone who said that Philco did provide radios for some of the last Crosley .
Have you got the model number of your radio? Perhaps this front to back antenna I saw was for a Philco? I can see if I have any information on this antenna, if you can get me a model number.

I believe that radio is a model A-1417. I've only seen reference to it in one old manual.