Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Escutcheon re-plating

Hi-
Who do you recommend for metal escutcheon re-plating?

Thanks,
Lew

what model radio? Hard to recommend something if we dont know what your talking about. Chrome Scott dial, antique brass, chemically treated??

Lew

If it is one of the early escutcheons that someone has polished to bright brass and you're wanting to restore the "patina," I suggest a light coating of Van Dyke Brown toning lacquer. After spraying, you can rub out the high spots if you wish, for a very neat appearance.

If it is a 1940 steel escutcheon that was plated brass, light coats of antique brass spray paint (available in hardware stores) will make it look like new.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Heres another option.......
This bezel was painted (by a previous owner, not at the factory). I stripped the paint, then a good cleaning with muratic acid, wash with water, dry, then I used some "gun blueing" from Wallmart (sporting section). Dont worry, it turns it black, not blue. Just another option.

[Image: http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a77/1ph...nit020.jpg]

Jerry - great point, and nice job! I'd forgotten about the gun blueing. I know a fellow who collects radios and Aladdin lamps, he restored the bronze look to an Aladdin Model 12 using the gun blueing method.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN