Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 42-380 veneer

I am finishing the cabinet on a 42-380 and the instrument panel was carved up by an experimenter so I repaired it but now need to get a piece of veneer to re-cover it.

Does anyone know what type of wood veneer was used originally. It looks like it might be mahogany.

Also I just got a model 70 cathedral which when it was shipped to me the speaker tore loose and broke up the speaker grille wood pretty badly. I think I found all the bits but would it be practical to try to repair it or does anyone make a replacement?

Thanks,

Steve D

From my Resource Links Page:

Dick Oliver's Reproduction Philco cabinet parts.
For cathedral models:

Front Panels
Base Moulding
Rear Arch Supports

For the Philco Grandfather or Colonial clock:

Finials
Trim pieces
Call or write for your needs.

Antique Radio Service
Dick Oliver
1725 Juniper Place, #310
Goshen, IN 46526
Ph. (574) 537-3747
Email: dolivears AT aol DOT com

Steve

Probably walnut veneer on your 42-380. Not the figured, fancy tiger or "butt" walnut, just a plain pattern. It will match the grain pattern on the top left and right panels, and run from front to back - vertically where it bends over to cover the front where the hole for the dial and knob shaft holes are.

I'll ditto Chuck's recommendation of Dick Oliver to make a replacement panel for your 70. He does fantastic work. He's listed on the PhilcoRadio.com Resources page also. By the way, he also does refinishing, cabinet repair, and even makes complete reproduction cabinets for the 20, 70 and 90 cathedrals.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hi Steve,
I just ordered some parts from Dick last month. A very nice man. The price list he sent me has a front panel for a 70 listed at $50.00 and $5.00 shipping. Just so you will know what to expect.

Hope this helps
Terry

Thanks a lot for the help, guys. I will contact Dick Oliver and start to search for walnut veneer on the net.

Thanks again

Steve D