Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Proud new owner of a 37-690

(04-28-2012, 01:01 AM)w4rtc Wrote:  Hi Bob
That is a nice radio, glad you got it. Put it on YouTube as you restore it, I enjoy your shows on YouTube. Icon_thumbup congrats. Joe

Yes, I certainly will create videos during the restoration. It could be a long while before I get to it though so please be patient.

(04-28-2012, 09:03 PM)Jayce Wrote:  Very nice find. Just shows that the Philcos are still out there and even the top of the line models are still being found in the 'wild'.

Thanks. Yes, they sure are Icon_smile

Hey Bob,

As a 38-690 owner, this IS actually Great News for me too.Icon_smile Knowing that you'll be making a video restoration is just what a lot of us can use.

I'm still getting experience working on my other Philcos, Thanx to Your videos, so I can take a swing at mine. The only references I have now is a very thorough ARF topic(8 pages) by Jim Chandler started back in late Jan. of 2010 & lochmiester's 116Icon_eek videos. Surely this will be appreciated by many of us that are waiting to take on this task.

2yrs.+ ago I got mine for $600 + ($100 extra night hotel stay to get it from a car buddy of his in St. Louis, while visiting wife's relatives) delivered to the Lansing Extravaganza for me, I was on lay-off at the time, still didn't take me long to "pull the trigger"Icon_wink

Sure while deals may be still out there, the last FIVE 38's on e-bay went for 3@ $1450-$1600, 1@ $1750 & 1@ $1958. All complete(except for backs) good condition,some refinishing needed & of course total chassis restoration. I doubt none of them got delivered for a $65 bus ride.Icon_rolleyesIcon_lol

BTW, my delivery guy also Gave me a matched PAIR of NOS, original boxes, Philco 6L6 ST ("Giant" coke bottle style) seldom seen on e-bay & when a pair do show up, a Benji is usually required, so I wasn't sweatin' the hotel bill much.

Don't want to sound too much like I'm "buttering you up" but once again, A Very Heart Felt Thank You for taking the extra time out to video your restoration projects that help so many of us noobs learn faster.Icon_thumbup

Lloyd

Sometimes, the Heart can only SEE, what the EYES Cannot

Thanks for all the info and kind words. Comments like yours keep me motivated Icon_smile

Interesting about the 6L6s. This 37 version uses a pair 6B4Gs. Apparently they need to be fairly well matched to reduce hum.

Here's a quote from this excellent article by Bruce McCalley: http://www.antiqueradios.org/gazette/philco690.htm

Quote:Balancing the plate currents of the 6B4G output tubes was done by using a separate filament supply for each tube and by using a dual potentiometer across these windings which served as a variable "center tap" for the windings. This control was adjusted for minimum hum. (Unfortunately, as the tubes heated up they did not do so exactly alike. The hum adjustment had to be made when the tubes were well-heated. When first turned on, though, unless you had a well-matched set of output tubes, there was always some hum for a short period.)

I haven't tested any of the 20 tubes yet - I'm almost afraid to Icon_wink

[Image: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7220/69327...eaf7_z.jpg]

I don't know how close the 6B4G's are in my 37-116, but I don't have any major change in hum cold to hot, but can tell you the hum pot has a setting where it wants to be at.

Come on tell us $75 so we can all be sick! Icon_smile

John
Las Vegas, NV USA

Come on, guys, whatever Bob paid for his 37-690 is his business, not ours.

And Bob...congratulations! Icon_thumbup

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

(04-29-2012, 12:14 PM)CrumblingWires Wrote:  Hey Bob,

As a 38-690 owner, this IS actually Great News for me too.Icon_smile Knowing that you'll be making a video restoration is just what a lot of us can use.

I'm still getting experience working on my other Philcos, Thanx to Your videos, so I can take a swing at mine. The only references I have now is a very thorough ARF topic(8 pages) by Jim Chandler started back in late Jan. of 2010 & lochmiester's 116Icon_eek videos. Surely this will be appreciated by many of us that are waiting to take on this task.

2yrs.+ ago I got mine for $600 + ($100 extra night hotel stay to get it from a car buddy of his in St. Louis, while visiting wife's relatives) delivered to the Lansing Extravaganza for me, I was on lay-off at the time, still didn't take me long to "pull the trigger"Icon_wink

Sure while deals may be still out there, the last FIVE 38's on e-bay went for 3@ $1450-$1600, 1@ $1750 & 1@ $1958. All complete(except for backs) good condition,some refinishing needed & of course total chassis restoration. I doubt none of them got delivered for a $65 bus ride.Icon_rolleyesIcon_lol

BTW, my delivery guy also Gave me a matched PAIR of NOS, original boxes, Philco 6L6 ST ("Giant" coke bottle style) seldom seen on e-bay & when a pair do show up, a Benji is usually required, so I wasn't sweatin' the hotel bill much.

Don't want to sound too much like I'm "buttering you up" but once again, A Very Heart Felt Thank You for taking the extra time out to video your restoration projects that help so many of us noobs learn faster.Icon_thumbup

Lloyd

Sometimes, the Heart can only SEE, what the EYES Cannot

I wouldn't use ebay as a measure anything these days unless you knew why was selling and who was buying. Between the shill bids, flakey bidders, money laundering scams, and just outright stupidity, it's not exactly reliable. Sometimes you see the same item sold and relisted several times because of this.
I know of a case years ago where there were these car dealers who would take turns listing cars on fleabay while the others would take turns shill bidding. Unfortunately for them someone noticed that the same car listed by one seller and bought by another guy, was getting listed again by the guy that bought it and being bid on by the previous seller.
At that time you could still identify the bidders by ebay identity, now it's like lord of the flies with everything hidden, you only need to look at our friend Foggy's auctions to figure that out. This was suposedly to prevent second chance offer scams, yah sure, more like enabling auction frauds like Foggy to fleece the masses.
Why would a pair of 6L6Gs equal a C note? They aren't even that rare and the G styles aren't even the high performance 6L6s, the high powered ones are 6L6GCs. But it makes about as much sense as paying $50 for an 80 rectifier tube.
Regards
Arran

(04-27-2012, 11:49 PM)bandersen Wrote:  
(04-27-2012, 11:25 PM)ipwizard Wrote:  Ok Bob spill it. how much did you get it for? I'm really curious cause they usually go for around 1-2k online. If you don't want to post it you can PM it. Icon_wink

That's what I figured. This one seems to have sold for $1,275 very recently. http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopi...1&t=186877

And this for $,1000: http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/view...1&t=190740

PM sent.

The $1000 one is really nice, the $1250 one isn't bad except for the top.
Apparently the $1000 one was recapped, maybe a good thing maybe no depending on the quality of the job. The $1900 38-690 was sold by Willyz Warez, that automatically attracts more bids since he's a known straight shooter who describes his set acurately and doesn't rape people for shipping. On his set the grill cloth is dead wrong (red velvet) but the cabinet looked nice, still a high price for a non functional set.
Regards
Arran

Congratulations on a Great Find!!!

Gene

Bob, I can't help but feel so much satisfaction when I read your story. I think this is a reward for all the good you've done for the antique radio community. I can't think of anyone who deserves a find like this more than you. I'm looking forward to your restoration of this gem one day. Tom

Thanks. I expect it will be one heck of a long project! Could be a while before I start too as I want to restore some other sets first (15DX parts have been ordered!)

There is one thing I have taken care of though. That's the mismatched knobs. Somehow the fine and magnetic tuning knobs were switched and the volume knob is totally wrong.

[Image: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7249/69915...4ce8_z.jpg]

That's better Icon_smile
[Image: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7108/69915...1cf8_z.jpg]

Come on, Bob, you know you want to start electronic restoration of your 41-316 next... Icon_twisted

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Oh, I don't know about that. I might relax with a Philco 70 first Icon_wink

I was surprised to see this 37-690 go for nearly a grand Icon_eek That set is going to need a lot of work I suspect.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/very-hard-to-fin...0902444733

Very nice Icon_thumbup

Is it me or is that mismatched volume knob off a Stromberg Carlson?

Thanks

Mike

Cossor 3468
GE 417A
Philco 118H
Radiola 17/100
Scott 800B6
Silvertone 6130
Stromberg 535M
Truetone D1952

Dunno. I heard an other guess that it's a GE knob.