Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Voltages-socket pins for Mystery Control

Chuck Schwark Wrote:A trade it is! Works for me. Will start to work on it. CD-ROM ok?

Just fine--all my info's on the hard drive, and it'll be easier to burn it onto a CD as well.

I'll do what I can in making the C cells do the job. I really would like this battery to use readily-available components if I can help it.

Quote:I'll do what I can in making the C cells do the job. I really would like this battery to use readily-available components if I can help it.

Sub-C cells are available, to my knowledge....they aren't an option here in this scenario?

Will let you know when my CD trade is ready. Icon_smile

Well that didn't take as long as I thought.

Have CDR ready to mail. Can't contact you BM, since you registered here without an email address in your profile.

Contact me via email so we can exchange postal addresses.

What I meant about "available" was a part that anyone could pick up at a grocery, drug store, etc.

That's how I try to do all my repro batteries.

If push comes to shove, and if I can't get the C's to work, then I'll have to go with something a little more exotic. I don't want to do that if I don't have to.

I guess I'll need to update my info. I thought my email was in the profile.

Any event, I'll get hold of you.

Thanx!

Bill

Okay, I found the problem--forgot to set a toggle to display my email addy.

So now when you click on the email button, it's doing its job.

On it's way to you via UPS Ground from work. 8)

...and your cd went out yesterday.

Thanks Bill! Any ETA on that beta-test battery? Maybe some "in-production" pictures, if it won't blow any trade secrets? 8)

FYI, UPS says it delivered your CD yesterday. Got it?

Delivered on: Oct 18, 2005 11:04 A.M.
Delivered to: INDIANAPOLIS, IN, US
Signed by: SCHMIDT
Service Type: GROUND

Yes, I forgot to let you know--been so busy lately. Even in b/w, they'll work for me.

As for the Mystery Control. It'll be awhile. I'm working on a replica Philco P-15-B5 "B-C" battery for someone's Model 024 signal generator. I'm about 3/4 done with it.

Bill

Okay, I have a rough layout dummied together.

Question--how much "wiggle room" is in the remote's battery bay?

I ask because while I've followed the catalog measurements, the finished product sometimes winds up being bigger than it should be, and then the battery doesn't fit! Icon_redface

In this case, my dummy's length and width are within spec, but it's a little thicker than I'd like to have it, around 1.25". Philco lists it as 1 1/8".

So, does the original brown battery fit tight in the bay, or is there a little room to allow for swelling? Is there enough room for the battery to slightly rattle when you shake the remote?

If not, I'll have to shave down the base a bit.

Bill

Battery is a snug fit under the three brackets, as far as thickness goes, but the three "ears" over the battery could be "adjusted" up a little to compensate. Average thickness of the brown battery is 1-11/16". 1.25" would be loose and bang around. Hold down clips wouldn't touch it.

[Image: http://www.philcorepairbench.com/images/...lips01.jpg] [Image: http://www.philcorepairbench.com/images/...lips03.jpg]
(C-size and D-size batteries for comparison.)

Seems there's plenty of thickness for C's, even D's, but 4 D cells in there leaves no room for enough 9-volts.

Ultimately, the two inside brackets have an upper limit as there are bends and setback cutouts for the loop coil support formed into them - about 1/16" more thickness allowance. This translates into a useable thickness of a max of 1-5/8". The catalog diemnsion of 1-1/8" seems way too thin??? A typo propagated thru the various catalogs?? I see why you were worried about C-size....hmmm.

The width has no wiggle room - the outside removable clip canot be shifted in its hole or the top wood case will touch. Same with height dimension - battery is about flush inside the case when closed.

Okay, here it is--thickness is a shade above 1.25", but everything else measures out to Philco spec.[Image: http://users.mw.net/~bmorris/finishedmysterypack.jpg]
[Image: http://users.mw.net/~bmorris/finishedmys...ckrear.jpg]
[Image: http://users.mw.net/~bmorris/mysterypackinnards.jpg]

Throw me your address when you get the chance, and I'll wrap and ship it.

Kool! Icon_eek

You sure do nice work! Will email you with my work address - easier to accept larger packages that don't fit in front door mail slot. Icon_wink

Will give a it a good workout. with the Mystery Control and report...

Bill - your repro batteries look great! Are you going into production, or just making a few for yourself as a hobby?

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks much. I've been dabbling with making repro batteries of all types--transistor packs, AB packs, and separate A and B batteries. It started around this time last year--I was going to make a set of CDs that allowed the average Joe Sixpack to build working replicas for their sets.

In April, I started building the first prototypes. In this case, they were A-B packs. Once I had ironed out the bugs, I sold each model on eBay.

Well.....turns out most of them sold. VERY well!

As my boss put it, "You're the chef, selling a unique pastry. Why would you sell the cookbook so soon?"

Soooo, I will eventually be selling battery CD's. But with a new kid on the way, the money's awful tempting with me building and selling repro's on my own. For the first time in twenty years, this hobby's paying off! Icon_lol

To answer your question--if I hear firsthand that there's interest in the Mystery packs, and once Mr. Schwark has greenlighted the prototype, I'll cook up a batch of 'em.