Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Cabinet restoration

I suspect this might be a lost cause but I have a 16X which has veneer that has pulled up and the top has started to pull apart beneath(basement storage). Does anyone have any suggestions on how this type of damage can be corrected? I can send pics if that might help. I was thinking of trying to steam and then reclamp but I'm a novice at this and don't necessarily want to cause more damage than already exists. Perhaps a good reference to a cabinet refinishing book/site?

Thanks,
Kevin

Hi Kevin,
To give any specific help, we would need a picture. Can you post a picture here? If you dont have a place to upload your picture, there is a free service, http://www.photobucket.com where you can load your picture, then copy the url and paste it in the post, or if you want, you could also send it to my email and I could paste it here for everyone to see,( my email is: old radio head AT hot mail . com )

I would'nt use steam or any sort of water on anything. Generally you need to start carefully glueing the substrate back down and then the veneer. Use wax paper between the radio and clamps. Titebond or Elmers wood glue is fine.

If you get a picture up, I could add more maybe.....
Take care,
jerry.