Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 37-9 dial calibration problem

Hello, I have a Philco 37-9 console that I'm about finished restoring and it is needing alignment but when I checked the schematics that I printed from Nostalgia Air it didn't show how to calibrate the dial with the glowing beam indicator. Any info out there on this. Thanks, Ken

Hi Ken

I looked at the original Philco Service Bulletin for Model 37-9 and, surprise, it does NOT give this information. However, the Bulletin for the similar Models 37-10 and 37-11 does give the info, and is as follows:

Dial Calibration

In order to adjust this receiver correctly the dial must be aligned to track properly with the tuning condenser. To do this proceed as follows:

1. Loosen the shaft coupling set screws. Then turn the tuning condenser fully closed and the dial to the first index line. Now tighten the shaft coupling set screws, and rotate the dial until the 520 K.C. mark is midway between the index line and the glowing beam indicator.

2. With condenser in this position loosen the set screws of the shaft coupling on the tuning condenser.

3. Then turn the tuning dial until the glowing beam indicator is centered on the index line.

NOTE: Be careful when turning the dial that the position of the tuning condenser is not disturbed.

4. Now tighten the shaft coupling set screws.

[Image: http://www.philcoradio.com/ebay/dialcal.jpg]

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron, the alignment should complete the restoration of the radio. it seems to be a nice radio and has all Philco branded tubes in it. I have a 48-482 that I will be restoring soon. Ken