Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Stewart Warner R1495A

Just saw one of these at a customer house, she was looking to make some space in her living room hence a deal was struck. Don't know much about it but it does have two speakers driven by a pair of 6L6's and a nice sized power transformer. Cabinet is beautiful!! but the top has some crack in the finish.
Any of yous guys have any experience with this old guy???
Tnx
Terry
ps may have an AK Kiel table for sale as I need some room too!!!!

Not familiar with that model, so had to look it up. Hmmm...looks like the Stewart-Warner equivalent of a Brand Z set, complete with black dial. But two speakers and push-pull 6L6 outputs are a definite plus. Icon_thumbup Congrats!

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Any set with P/P 6L6's has got to be good or at worst loud!!!
Terry

I have a big black dial Stewart Warner, a Canadian made R -145, I can say this about it, the build quality is better then an equivalent brand Z model just in the dial alone. The Brand Z sets usually used one of two things, a black and white back lite celluloid dial or a painted tin dial, the Stewart Warner has a front and reverse painted glass dial like a Sparton would have. However unlike most Canadian made editions of U.S models I think it uses a cheaper cabinet then the Chicago made versions. Stewart Warner, like Sparton, is somewhat of an off brand, and like Sparton is better known for making auto parts. Just like Sparton there are certain models that people pay attention to and lots of other that get overlooked on the race to the next brand Z shutterdial set, but as with Philco and C.G.E that's fine by me. I think the R1495 may be the U.S equivalent of a Canadian made Stewart Warner Mendelssohn model.
Regards
Arran

THese are very nice ,quality built radios.
I find the 40,s Philco's to be kind of boring and ugly.
Not to mention that their are a zillion of them out there.
Performance is very average.
Too much faux also.
Myself I try to stay around the 30's radios.
They really went downhill after 39.
murf

I don't have many newer than 1938, but my 41-608 is a pretty good sounding set. The BOL is pretty impressive as well.

It's funny that people say that Philco sets went downhill from 1939-42 but I submit that isn't really a fair assessment. While it's true that Philco quit making the 690 series after 1938 you also have to take into account that by 1938 the radio market had largely matured by that point. Around 1938 everyone who could afford a radio already had a main one in their living room, so the original market was limited mostly to replacing older sets. So the smart radio manufacturers turned their attention towards marketing a secondary radio for the bedroom, kitchen, picnics, etc., there was a slogan at the time along the lines of "A radio in every room".
Some like Philco and RCA were also anticipating new markets opening up for television and F.M receivers, so they focused much of their engineering research into those. Some early 40s Philcos were excellent receivers, some with an FM band. They often also incorporated a Beam of Light phonograph which was years ahead of the competition.
Regards
Arran

With respect to your SW 1495, that is an excellent set!!

If I remember correctly, the SW 1495 has a couple of 600V caps you should be aware of. Also, the initial V on the filter electrolytics was over 500. I believe that this was because I ran it on 120V without any step down, so you might want to consider 500 or 600V electrolytics. OR some kind of device to step the AC line voltage to 110.

Also, be careful about substituting another heavy-duty rectifier for the 5V4, as the 5V4 has a cathode on one of the filament pins.