Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Duesenberg Radio

Here is a photograph of a Philco arm rest radio head that was installed at the Willoughby Factory in a Duesenberg Limo. Does anyone have an information whatsoever on the unit, if there are any still out there in any condition[img]Willoughby Radio[/img], and what the main radio looked like. 1920-1934 my guess. Thank you. bob

That radio is most certainly from the mid 1930s or later, the earlier car radios used a back lit celluloid/phenolic plastic dial viewed through a peak hole and used brown or black Bakelite knobs. The earliest car radios were basically like a farm battery set with "A", "B", and "C" batteries, and they were almost never installed by the car manufacturer. Philco produced many aftermarket car radios as well and in something like a Duesenberg, which often had custom built bodies, they could have installed any off the shelf car radio the customer wanted. That head unit looks familiar for some reason, I may have seen one in an old catalog or service manual.
Regards
Arran

Thank you for your expertise. This particular Duesenberg was at Auction this last August over in Pebble Beach. The write-up indicated that the car had the original Willoughby factory upholstery that was tatered in many locations but appeared to be a "survivor". I own a Willoughby Berline which is the "blind-back" version of the same car. The interior will be virtually the same, and that location appears to be the only place to locate a radio head. Again, thank you so much and if you find more information, please write. bob

Interesting how they chose to install the head for the radio in the arm rest, many old limousines used to install the control panel near the top of the divider between the front and back, along with things like a clock and ash trays. I'm not too familiar with Duesenbergs other then I know they had overhead cam engines while most manufacturers were still making side valve engines, including Packard and Imperial. If I find out where I saw that head unit before I will post here again.
Regards
Arran

Thank you. bob

Just bought the complete radio in a Buy-It-Now from Ebay. Incredible!!!!!
Now I need a Top Flight Restoration Service as I don't dare touch this thing!!!!!!!!!!!!! bob

This does look like late 30's radio, with "PHILCO" on the dial I'd say after market.
I've seen radio heads in arm rest on Cadillac's one with front and back window devider had two radios!

I hope that it's early 30's. The Duesenberg that the one pictured above is a 30 Willoughby. Might have been a late 30 modification. Is there anyone out there in radio-land with specific definitive knowledge about this.

That is not a 1930 radio, Philco did not build an auto radio until 1931 Check out "TRANSITONE" I have a 1930 Transitone it was built by AUTOMOBLIE RADIO CORP, I also have a TRANSITONE 3 that was built by PHILCO in 1931 , Does your radio use "B" batterys? Check out your power supply, if it does not use the "B" batteries it is 1932 or newer , have you a model number? This web sight has a list of 1930's Philco auto radios, 'If no model number send us the number on the tubes used on this radio if you find a vibrator in the radio it is from late 1932 an newer, motor generator it could be as old as early 1932 ,Now to add more confusion there where B elimanators available for early auto radios these where built after 1932

The Philco radio control head that you show to be mounted in the arm rest appears to be a generic Philco radio control head. I have seen this unit often popping up at antique auto parts swap meets.