• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Philco 116PX is Home!

Yes! Inquiring minds want to know! Icon_lol Icon_question Icon_eek

Skip?

Blessings,
Jeff W.
Jonesboro, Arkansas

http://jeffsradios.weebly.com

God loves you as you are, not as you should be, because none of us are as we should be. - Brennan Manning

I got over to my Parents' house a few days ago. (See my post with a ton of pics). During my initial inspection when I picked it up and left it at my parents house, I missed the routered slots inside the doors. As I have some experience as a woodworker, I immediately recognized them as a sign there used to be pockets for storage in there. I have enough experience that I could fashion replacements, but it would be nice to have detail pics to see what they look like. Icon_thumbup

Hint, Hint, Skip.

Blessings,
Jeff W.
Jonesboro, Arkansas

God loves you as you are, not as you should be, because none of us are as we should be. - Brennan Manning

It has been a while since I have been on the forum.  Life and the family seem to suck up a lot of my time.  

To start off with, yes I still have the Philco radio/phonograph combo.  It has been and still is one of my daily drivers both for the radio and the phonograph.  I finished the restoration last summer including restoration of the cabinet.  In a previous thread or PM, Ron had suggested the finish on this should be gloss, so that is what I did.  I will say, it turned out nice and works very well.  The "Slasher" Phonograph changer has only damaged or broken one record, which was my fault.  It was on the bench going through the paces and I was not paying attention.  Off the bench the record went.  Oh well, I guess that is why they have Polka Records. No offence to those who love Polka.  

To answer the question about the doors, yes the two side doors are for record storage.  You can store either 10 or 12 inch records no problem.  The doors use a piano hinge along the bottom.  The record compartment is about 7" deep with three  separate compartments about 2" wide.  On the sides of the compartment there is two wood dowels that stick out. This is to keep the door and records from falling to the floor when opened.   

I have posted some pictures to better show what I am talking about and of the finished Radio.

Hope this helps.

Attached Files Image(s)

Beautiful job! Is that the original grille cloth?

Greg

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us."

Skip,

Beautiful restoration! Icon_thumbup
Thanks so much for your pics and documentation you sent. It will be a big help in restoring mine.

Regards,

Jeff W.

Blessings,
Jeff W.
Jonesboro, Arkansas

A few more Pictures

Attached Files Image(s)

Greg

The center grill cloth is a new Repo from Richmond.  The two small pieces over the clarifiers are from an original larger piece I was able to salvage.  The original cloth in the radio when I got it was bright red.  Man was it ugly.

Thank you.

Beautiful radio, Skip!

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.