Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Stereophonic Model L1561 Help??

Hello All,
I just purchased a Philco Stereophonic Hi Fidelity console. These units are pretty cool. I can see how it would be easy to get hooked on themIcon_biggrin The wiring diagram is still glued to the floor of the cabinet (under all the duest and dirt...almost didn't see it) and identifes the model as L1561, but I can't find this model number listed anywhere on the internet. Can anyone help me identify this unit?

Also, the AM/FM radio works, but not the turntable. I know nothing about turntables and haven't listened to an LP for decadesIcon_lol Are these belt operated, because I do not see one anywhere? I have a few pics...

That turntable uses a rubber idler wheel to transfer motion from the motor shaft to the turntable platter. The wheel with the rubber "tire" at the rim is the idler. Check and see if the rubber surface is not hardened and glazed, which would make it slip. Also check if the motor shaft turns freely. This is the small shaft under the idler in the photo. Sometimes the oil in the motor bearings gums up and prevents it from turning.

The idler wheel is not turning. The motor shaft is turning fine, but the wheel is extremely hard and will not turn on the motor shaft.

Can you identify the model?

Hi and Welcome to the Phourm!!
If your motor is turning (when the power is on to the turntable) you should be in good shape. If not check to see if it is plugged in (the motor not the set it self) If it is then try to spin the motor shaft by hand. If it feels like it wants to work but doesn't you'll need to clean and lub the motor bearing with a little bit of light oil like 30wt mtr oil. The other two things that come to mind are the idler wheel (that rubber wheel) You can clean it with a little rubbing alcohol and then rough it up a bit with some sandpaper just a little to clean off the glaze on it. Add a drop of oil to it's shaft. Attached to the bracket that the idler wheel is on there is a spring it controls the tension that the wheel has on the plater. Make sure it has some tension so the wheel is pressing on the inside rim of the plater.
One other thing that usually is bad is the phono cartridge You can test it by setting up the set for phono operation and then gently rubbing the needle. If good will make a scratching noise in the speakers.
I took a look for some info on it and couldn't find much. It was made it 1964.
GL&Happy Listening
Terry

Thanks, Terry. Good info. I'll try working on the idler wheel. The motor shaft is turning just fine. It is making contact with the idler wheel, but not turning. I do not have a needle cartridge and why I am looking for the model number for a replacement. Do you know if I can use any Philco cartridge or will it need to be specific?

Can't say that I do. It may not matter much as long as it is stereo and had enough output to drive the amp. The other issue is the mounting. But I don't think that it will be a big issue once you get the other stuff going.
Terry

That cabinet stereo looks almost identical to one owned by a young friend of mine in West Virginia, except his was from 1962, yours is a 1964 model, if I have the letter code correct. Philco seems to have entered a bit of a dark period around this time, most of their products were rather ho hum, and they made fewer changes in their model lineup from year to year. I am sure that there were some production line changes to the chassis and the like as there always was. This started before the Predicta line of TVs came out, but it became even more so after the bankruptcy and buyout by Ford Motor Co.
Regards
Arran

"L" designates 1963. The letter system started with "A" in 1953. "I" was skipped to avoid confusion with one.

Philco was not bankrupt. I am not sure where that originated. It was simply bought by Ford motor in late '60. Henry Ford 2 had a vision to build Ford into another GM. Philco provided a quick entry into home appliances, electronics, aerospace and car radios.

Some Ford executives opposed the purchase. Ultimately Ford chose not to divert investment from the auto business to consumer goods and sold off various divisions. Other businesses were merged into Ford Motor.

Henry Ford sat on the GE board so he probably understood the enormous cost to become a serious player in that industry.

I just came up with the date by the number on the Sam's folder.
Terry

Don Lind Wrote:The letter system started with "A" in 1953.

Don, are you sure about this? The only Philco models I have seen starting with an "A" were models produced in the UK. The 1953 Philco Home Radio Yearbook does not list any models beginning with an "A" prefix, only "53-" save for the few Tropic models listed in the book - and those have four digit model numbers with no letter or number prefix.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron:

I am never sure, just sometimes confident.

You're correct on radio models. The changeover for TVs was not abrupt. There were 1953 TVs with "A" prefix as well as 53-. By 1954, more TVs were transitioned to "B" with the 55 "C" line being completed. The TV number system changed again in the early 70s. There were no more domestic manufactured small radios. Sandusky transitioned to auto electronics.

Air conditioners used a similar system, but not in sync with TVs and radios. I believe "M" was '55 and "R" was '56. Different letters were skipped and/or omitted.

On radios, you are the source. I won't challenge that.

Don

Thanks, Don. Admittedly, I don't follow Philco TV or appliances - Philco radio is overwhelming enough. Icon_eek

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN