Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New here w/q's re: Replacing '66 car radio pushbuttons

Hi Everyone, I'm new to the Phorum and glad to be here.

I have a couple of questions about a Philco model 6TPZ vintage am car radio cabinet restoration. First of all can anyone tell me how to remove the plastic pushbuttons for replacement? I've tried to pry them off but I'm afraid I might damage the shafts they're attached to. Also are these pushbuttons still available anywhere? Also are the bullet connectors for these vintage car radios still available and where? Any advice and help would be appreciated.

Thanks !

Steve

Welcome, Steve. Glad to have you here.

This topic has been moved to the Philco-Transitone Auto Radios section since it deals with an auto radio.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

HI:
I restore auto radios , how bad are your push buttons? , If they are not all cracked , you can restore them with very fine sand paper and finish polishing with BRASSO , you 'll be surprise how nice they come out , first try just the BRASSO if there are no deep scraches or chips , The buttons where originally heated and placed on the metal shafts they would then cool down , to remove them you could try to heat them , offen I'll use a sodering gun, getting the old ones off can be a job! , then boil water put your new push buttons in the boiling water heat them up and then push them on the shaft . 66 is a little newer than the radios I usually work on , I do not know of repo buttons, for it , is this a "T" bird or truck ?

BILL Wrote:HI:
I restore auto radios , how bad are your push buttons? , If they are not all cracked , you can restore them with very fine sand paper and finish polishing with BRASSO , you 'll be surprise how nice they come out , first try just the BRASSO if there are no deep scraches or chips , The buttons where originally heated and placed on the metal shafts they would then cool down , to remove them you could try to heat them , offen I'll use a sodering gun, getting the old ones off can be a job! , then boil water put your new push buttons in the boiling water heat them up and then push them on the shaft . 66 is a little newer than the radios I usually work on , I do not know of repo buttons, for it , is this a "T" bird or truck ?

Hi Bill,

Thanks so much for your reply. This radio is for a Mustang. I've used 00 steel wool on the pushbuttons that aren't too bad but some of them have nicks in them and should be replaced. I'm glad you told me that they were applied with heat because trying to remove them is a real chore and I couldn't imagine they just snapped on. I'll try your heating method to see if I can remove them.
Also, do you know what the connectors are called that attach to the car's power source? I've been calling them bullet connectors but I think there's a different name for them. I bought some bullet connectors and they kinda/sorta work but I don't think they're correct.

Thanks again for your help. It's appreciated !

Steve

HI:
Being a Mustang, there might be replacement push buttons , try someone who sell Mustang parts, For your conectors ,have you a local junk yard? most likely any Ford product built around mid 60's will have the conectors your looking for , I have NOS conectors for 1950's Fords but I know they are different , If you can not find any let me know ,and I'll check out my junk , most of the work I do now is on 40's to 72, Chevy +GMC truck radios ,I work for a parts supply for vintage GM trucks, I did a month ago a 51 Ford radio[BENDICS] at that time Ford had three suppliers ,Bendics, Motorola and Zenith, no Philco that I know of , all though Philco did supply Ford in the 1930's , On your chips if they are not too deep you can sand them out with a coarse sand paper and go to a fine then finish off with brasso, but first try to see if repoductions are available

Thanks for the great information Bill !
I had one radio with a cigarette burn on the center pushbutton and was able to remove "most" of it using 00 steel wool with polishing compound. It did a great job but I think I might go 000 or 0000 next time for a shinier look. I'm also going to get some Brasso (great suggestion) for future radios.
I have several junk yards near me but very few 60's cars there. I've been using some of my non-functioning radio's connectors to this point but once I run out I'll definitely be in need to find some that match. If you give me your email address I can send you a picture of what they look like (unless you already know) and if you do have some that are compatible we can work something out.
Thanks again for all of your help. It's appreciated !

Steve

Is there a good scratch remover for the plexi-glass dial face?

YES "Brasso" I once took a plastic dial scale to a car club meet ,I believe it was to a 1954 Packard, I scrached it up with ruff sand paper , then went to work on it finished it up with "Brasso" it was clear again in not much time, look on a can of "Brasso", it says " GOOD TO REMOVE SCRACHES FROM WATCH CRYSTELS", I always keep a can of it in my radio work shop , my email is: <!-- e --><a href="mailto:radio_29chevy@yahoo.com">radio_29chevy@yahoo.com</a><!-- e -->