Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Should I or shouldn't I, that is / was the question

At an antique flea market in Grayslake, IL yesterday, I ran across Philco's first TV, a 48-700 table model. It even had a yellow plastic after market "magnifier" lens attachment over the screen, which made it almost unrecognizable. The seller wanted $150 for it. And I was tempted. Very tempted. But, having never tackled a TV, a 65 year old set, with what I'm sure amounted to a dead picture tube, had me skeptical it wouldn't become more than an expensive... and heavy... space-taking "static" display. Inevitably I left it there, but tonight am having the 'ol "maybe I should've" feelings of guilt. I suspect they aren't all that plentiful.

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Hi Greg,
I hate that feeling! That's probably why I keep hauling stuff homeIcon_lol!! Unless that set was in pristine condition, the $150 asking price was probably too much anyway. As for the picture tube, it is probably a 10BP4 which is more common than many other crt's. I've worked on a couple of old tv's and they are a little intimidating at first but after a while it's like a very big radio with lots of caps to replace!!! It is really satisfying to get them to work though!
Kevin

I think Philco's first TV was the 48-1000, I know that doesn't make much sense but the higher number came first. It isn't too often that a picture tube is "burned" out in the manner like a 5Y4 would be, but they do get worn out. This TV is kind of unusual for a Philco, it uses an electrostatic picture tube like an oscilloscope, a 7GP4, later versions used a 7JP4 like most other electrostatic sets had. You could roll the dice and make an offer, they are likely much less common then a Motorola from the same era.
Regards
Arran

It has some circuitry similar to the Philco 48-1000 like over-coupled IFs and split sound. It is certainly over designed compared to the Motorola and sold for considerably more so it is more rare. It uses a 60Hz power supply therefore it is not plagued with high voltage fade like the 50-701.

Philco TVs of that era used a number system where in the first two digits were the model year. The digit/s following the dash indicated screen size. It's worth a gamble, however limit your offer unless you can confirm that the CRT and power transformer are OK.

The VT71 Motorola, and related models, are the closest television equivalent to an AA5 built in the late 1940s. I think Bob Andersen said that they sold for under $200 whereas an RCA 630TS and it's successors sold for about double that. My guess is that this 48-700 was somewhere in-between, like the electrostatic Admirals which also used a proper power transformer. One thing you could do is take an ohmmeter with you the next time you go and look at it and check the picture tube heater and the power transformer windings for continuity, you can check the B+ winding by measuring across the rectifier tube plate pins and across the power cord plug for the primary, etc.
Regards
Arran

Seems like a lot of dough, some TV's get given away on yard sales and all, There is not as much demand, at least up here.

Paul

Tubetalk1

I doubt you're seeing TV sets from the 40s being given away and, if you are, I'm visiting Massachusetts ;) Some models are easily worth a few hundred. Some like the RCA 621TS, easily $500 or more.

I'd drop $150 on it - especially if it has a good CRT. Replacement 7JP4s can be had for around $75. Replacement 7GP4s not so much. I don't recall ever seeing one for sale.

I recently saw a small maybe 4" inch screen Pilot TV from for 50 bucks, it was probably from the 40's, maybe it had a curse or bad picture tube. Honestly I am not a TV collector but the market does not seem to be strong up here. I have a pal who has a very large Bakelite TV an Admiral I believe, it is restored and plays well, It would command a fine price now but I do not think he paid much for it.

Could easily be the luck of the draw, sellers not asking for the price they could command, I just do not see the TV's at swaps and flea markets that I hear folks from other parts of the country mention. I may just need to get around more!

Paul

Tubetalk1

We've gone to every antique show in our area this summer, and I don't recall seeing any TVs. It's even rare that I find a decent radio at any of them. There is one Predicta at a local antique mall, they claim that it works, but they want a small fortune for it.

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

I've acquired many of my 80 or so vintage TVs from craigslist. A few from antique shops and only a couple at swapfests. Also some from the massive Eli Buk auction in Boston earlier this year. Around 75 vintage TV sets were auctioned off. Many rare including two pre war sets. Luckily, I have a friend in the area who was able to pick my sets up and transport them to Chicago Icon_smile

Go! Or make appointment with the chiropractor the day after trash night.