Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Maggy Concert Grand worth restoring??

Just picked up a complete unit from about 1959 missing only the remote transmitter. Has mostly original Maggy tubes. Radio chassis works great. Only thing done to it was the filter cap replaced earlier by someone else. Tuning dial pointer motor works just fines and reverses. Motor on volume pot has open coil. I would like to find a replacement, but without the remote transmitter it would do no good. Would also like to find a replacement for the transmitter. These are probably fairly scarce, although with the way the amps are usually parted out, maybe there will be receiver chassis and transmitter sitting around collecting dust somewhere?? I hope!!
I have not yet fired up the two 12 tube power amps, but do not anticipate any problems. Will, of course, do so slowly, etc. Any comments welcome from others who may have had previous experience with these.

How about some pictures Harry? Cabinet and love to see those power amps.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Yes, I suppose pictures would help. I'll see what I can do. At this point, everything is out of cabinet, but easy to photo separately. Is Sedona near Cottonwood? If so, I think I went thru there a couple of years ago visiting friends in Cottonwood.

Yes Harry, Sedona is about 9 miles from Cottonwood.
Jerry

Some consider the Maggie concert grande the holy grail of that brand.

I think there are about 40 tubes in one of these and 5(?) separate chassis inside. I have only seen the back side in 1 photo ever, so please yes, post some photos for us to drool over. If you have trouble posting the pix, email them to Ron and he can help get them up on here

Will do, for sure. I'm working on the two amps today to recap and replace any out of range resistors, etc. Yes, there are five separate chassis. 1 - Radio receiver; 2 - Power supply for radio receiver; 3- Phantom remote receiver (has it's own power supply with separate tranny); 4 & 5 - the two 12 tube amps, each with 8 6V6's, 2 5U4's, and 2 12AX7's. Needless to say, this thing weighs much, even without the two power amps. All solid wood - none of that fake stuff. The only thing resembling plywood are the covers for the speaker enclosures at the rear end.

I guess they really do things in a big way out there in Texas Harry! We are waiting for some pictures to drool over as Bruce indicated.
Jerry

Harry, could you post some photos of your Concert Grand here?

I was never into Magnavox AT ALL until I noticed Ron and others referring to them here in the Phorum. When I found one last summer, for very little, in nearby Durham, I went ahead and got it.

Mine is (I think) a 1947 Regency Symphony in Blond finish. It is missing the CR 189 FM tuner, so it is "only" a 13 tube set vice a 21 tube set.

Two speakers/20 watts output. Broadcast, SW, and a decent record player. Magnavox are ANOTHER thing Ron is responsible for getting me into.

I could, I think, verrry easily get into a Concert Grand.

I too have a Magnavox console, one of the first radios I worked on, got it for free. Lot's of problems with the FM, mostly me but some subtle problems. It is really a nice sounding unit. I would give it away to someone just to make room for something new. The Concert Grand has to be the cosmic radio from Magnavox. At my age, I wouldn't have the time left or the brain left to go through that but it sure as H**L would be fun trying. Waiting for pictures. To heck with the Zenith Strat, this is a potent radio!
Jerry

+1, Jerry!!!

Lately I have been interested more in a set's performance vice it's look. The Magnavox I have is definitely a performer!!

FYI: STILL LOVE MY PHILCOS