Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

philco 84 restoration grill cloth question

Hey philco people,

I am restoring an 84 or 84B?

I am currently purchasing grill cloth for 5 different radios and have wasted about $50 because the one that arrives is not the same as i thought it was. not the pattern but the color.

I got the grill cloth from radiodaze but it is gold, not bronze. Is my grill cloth just really old and turned bronze?

I have added pics of the resto and the grill cloth.

I added a pic of the grill cloth I want from richmond designs but hopefully someone has it and can verify the color... Cough, Cough, RON Icon_shifty

I guess someone can clarify if it is an 84 or 84B if you really want to also.

Thanks
Kirk

Attached Files Image(s)

Here is the pic of the grill cloth I want:
It is the 70/90 from the new grill cloth post by Ron.

I got the chevron and it is darker than mine but It is too nice not to use it on my 37-640 floor model.

Attached Files Image(s)

I described the new cloth as yellow in an earlier thread. So I know what you mean. It is not a good match to what you are looking for. I have not found any that is.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Time to dye it then,

Ron can you post a pic of the sample he sent you also, maybe I can live with it.

Kirk L

No, I cannot; it is still packed away from my move and I cannot take the time to look for it right now as other home projects must take priority. Sorry.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

How dare you move and not be able to help me....

Guess Ill try dying it first.

Thanks though

Kirk

I had read someplace that due to the nicotin, age, dust, and dirt the original gold colour is now that darker or bronze or whiskey colour. The cure in that story was to brew up a batch of really strong coffee or dark tea and literally stain the cloth. Sadly I dont remember the details of how long or anything like that but it seemed like a good idea to me. Might be worth a couple small pieces to give it a try.

Gregb

Yes, I dyed some. You need a reddish brown to come out like you want. It does not take color that well either.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Ok I'll just sit in a 5x5 room and smoke my pipe for a few days without ventilation. Icon_eek

Thanks for the dye info

Kirk

UGH!

Why is my toner fish eyeing!!
I have dont this 4 times and had to strip it 4 times. toner aint cheap...
I am doing a 37-640 and no issues or any issues on my Halson 15 but this 84 or 84B is killing me, lol Icon_crazy
Its only happening in certain spots over and over.

Oh, and does anyone have an extra knob for this 84 I can buy, One is mismatched.

Any suggestions

Silicone contamination, most likely. I'll let the cabinet experts comment on methods to clean the cabinet to minimize this issue.

Let's step back to the cloth a moment. Sitting here thinking this morning as I slowly wake up...I recall taking early Philco radios apart and seeing the cloth, or what was left of the cloth. On every set that used the 70/90 Whiskey Rayon pattern, the portion of cloth that was hidden from view was always much brighter...identical to the bright gold color you guys hate so much. Keep in mind that the original cloth darkened over decades due to age, dust, smokers, etc.

I used to own a 111 highboy. Apparently it wasn't played a lot, and the owners kept the doors closed most of the time, as the cloth was pristine...and bright gold. The same 70/90 pattern.

All this reminds me of back when Radio Grille Cloth Headquarters was still in business, John brought out a variant of the Philco "Ribbed" pattern in olive, which was the actual original color. No one would buy it. Everyone wanted the yellowish gold "Ribbed" cloth...because the olive faded to yellowish gold over the decades. The olive variant did not last very long in John's catalog as he discontinued it quickly. I should have bought some...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

The pic is of the hidden part of the grill cloth and I dont hate the yellow gold, I just wanted something closer to the original. Guess I'll try it or dye it. And I should diet Icon_thumbdown

Kirk

I just remembered, Philco also made a variant of the 70/90 cloth that had a copperish hue. This was once available from Radio Grille Cloth Headquarters, but no more since they're now history. Perhaps this is what your 84 had originally? If so...you're stuck with using the whiskey rayon as is, or attempting to dye it.

Whiskey hue:

[Image: http://web.archive.org/web/2005110316534...g/num1.jpg]

Copper hue (it was a darker copper than this):

[Image: http://web.archive.org/web/2005110317025...g/num2.jpg]

Images taken from:

http://web.archive.org/web/2005110308411...es/p1.html

Just don't try to order from this site - it is on the Internet Archive. The actual site no longer exists in this form - it's been changed to "The Radio Mad House" or something like that, and there is no cloth for sale there.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron do you think John would grant you rights to use his pictures of the cloth patterns? Would be nice to have an active page that showed what they were like as a reference.

John
Las Vegas, NV USA

To stop fish eye, use a scuff pad between coats to dull the finish. You can also use the green dish washing pads.