Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

philco 84 restoration grill cloth question

The pattern #24, under the other two on that page, is what a lot of people are looking for.

Try spraying very light coats of toner. The problem is that a wet top coat is also going to fish eye unless you can use a flow-out additive.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

I will try a scuff pad first and then I will just strip it and try even lighter coats. Should I just strip it anyway for a fresh start?
I was using #0000 steel wool between coats but i had to go to the wood to get the darker spots out.

Kirk

You can wipe off the fish-eyed toner with lacquer thinner. This may also help with some of the contamination, but, probably not. The silicones and oils sink deep into the wood. Even sanding will not get rid of them. Dry coats. I have found the canned toner to be very soft even when dry. It would probably be more productive to lightly sand in between top coats, which you will also have to put on very dry. If you are using a semi-gloss, you might not have to buff it out.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

LASJayhawk Wrote:Ron do you think John would grant you rights to use his pictures of the cloth patterns?

I don't know...I will try to remember to ask him and see. Great idea! Icon_thumbup

Phlogiston Wrote:The pattern #24, under the other two on that page, is what a lot of people are looking for.

That pattern is/was not authentic. Patterns #1 and #2 were authentic (faithful to the originals). #24 looked like a very poor reproduction of #1.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

(01-17-2014, 09:58 AM)OldRestorer Wrote:  Hey philco people,

I am restoring an 84 or 84B?

I am currently purchasing grill cloth for 5 different radios and have wasted about $50 because the one that arrives is not the same as i thought it was. not the pattern but the color.

I got the grill cloth from radiodaze but it is gold, not bronze. Is my grill cloth just really old and turned bronze?

I have added pics of the resto and the grill cloth.

I added a pic of the grill cloth I want from richmond designs but hopefully someone has it and can verify the color... Cough, Cough, RON :shifty:

I guess someone can clarify if it is an 84 or 84B if you really want to also.

Thanks
Kirk

Hi Kirk,

What did you ever do for matching the grille cloth for the copper tone needed? I have models 84 and 19B, which I have the same issue, and I still continue to look for the best replacement match. I tried to include an attachment (which clearly shows the copper tone), but couldn't easily reduce the size to under 500k on my iPad...

Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark, welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

Hey!

Welcome...

For the copper tone I used perfect brown classic mohawk toner from here:

http://magicwoodrepair.com/items/aerosol...detail.htm

A couple of mist coats and it was close enough to the look of the original.

This is it before finishing the cabinet but you can see the grill cloth is nice and bronzed.

Icon_smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

WELL,,while painting ,,,many a cars,,,,,we used fish eye remover,,,,can be bought at the paint store,,,CHEERS