Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My new Florida toy-Maggie CG

AKA Concert Grand circa 1958. Not delivered yet but soon I hope.

Craig's List has been a wealth of radio finds for me for the past several years. This one was advertised as a Maggie Imperial which was due to that name being on the Collaro Record Player. Turns out it is the 1958 CG 300H, the 1st of 4 years of tube CG's.

Only a single bi-amp with 8-6V6 compared to later (1961) 100 watt versions with 16 outputs. Original owner family since new. Also has a built in Reel to Reel and clock to set recordings. A new field of interest to me is the reel to reel system which I know nothing about but plan to invest some new time learning about.

I was at an old guy's house a few years ago in Moline and he collected RtoR's and demonstrated his showcase one playing country music through some nice speakers and it sounded wonderful. 1st time I had heard one of these play.

Nice catch Bruce, hope to see pictures soon. It must be a beast.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Thank you Jerry-Hope you are doing good over there on the left side of the country !
I have a Scott 800B set up now as my garage radio on one of those chrome shelf racks.

The 800B chrome turned out good after cleaning for several days all the smoker gunk off it.
I will be giving away free the 1947 Maggie Regency Supreme it replaced.

Bruce

Great catch! I don't think I've ever seen or heard a Maggie CG, but I have heard nothing but good things about them.

Some lucky person will enjoy that Regency Symphony. A well restored RS is a very nice radio indeed. Icon_thumbup

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

That maggie should sound great. I am a fan of post war Scotts, having an 800B and a Metro 16A. Nice receivers. I also have a post war maggie console with changer, nice radios. Nothing like your new one. Enjoy, all well here a little left of you but nice weather as well.
Take care Bruce.

Gosh, Bruce, FANTASTIC find!! I'm scrambling to find the schematic as I type this!! What a BEAR!!!!!!

Speaking of Scott 800Bs, I just found/bought one for 200 dollars in nice, playing shape. Cabinet is excellent. The owner is an EE who replaced the electolytics and other components 20 years ago. Yes, I'm a HAPPY fella.

Agree, the Regency Symphony is quite a set. After reading Ron and others sing their praises I found and electronically restored mine last summer. You can find these sets for CHEAP, they have 20 watts undistorted output via a power chassis with 2X5Y3 and 4X6V6.

Here's a link to my new photobucket file with pictures I took yesterday after the seller delivered it to me. I have confirmed it is indeed a 1958 300H CG. It actually has a double model tag glued on top of another one that was all smeared and the top one is smeared with that old smelly clear glue with the brush in the bottle.

Tube layouts are still inside and I counted 35 total: 12 in the amp, 7 in the reel to reel, 5 in the small ? chassis and 11 in the main chassis.
Condition is very nice but real dusty/dirty. Bought some goop today and hope to give it a good cleaning this weekend if I get a burst of energy. It was $300 + $50 delivery. (24 miles). Seller is a known Architectural Engineer and it was his grandparents when new in Miami. There is a small clock built into the RP compartment to turn on the radio/Reel to Reel to record shows.
3 glass panels on top nice and 3 more in the front. One horn is disconnected but the wires are all there. It appears all the speakers / horns plug into the RtoR chassis. I thought that was a bit odd. Only has 8 output tubes on a single bi-amp chassis. Later CG's like my 1961 one have 2 of these amps and 100 watts output. This one is only 40 watts.

Any questions, feel free to ask or PM me. Since I already have one of these I may sell this for just what I have in it. I just bought it to save it and it was local to me in the Tampa area. These are very rare and sought after.

My 1961 CG (unknown model)

http://s213.photobucket.com/user/y2kbruc...t=3&page=1

The new one here in Tampa 1958 300H
http://s213.photobucket.com/user/y2kbruc...t=3&page=1

Bruce, thanks so much for posting the pictures, what great radios. They both scare me, no way could I take on a resto project of this size! A great save on the new one but I really like your first. Dang, both really nice.
Jerry

Thank you Jerry-Ironically the later model 42 tube one plays very nice as is with no hum at all. There is a small printed circuit board in the middle underneath of the main chassis amongst all the tube wires. It looks like both have stereo on the RP but not AM or FM. Also the 1961 has a sealed speaker compartment but the 1958 one does not.

My 2014 radio goal is to get the 1961 all recapped and tuned up like new.

I have been thinking about downsizing my radios and only keeping one good one from each decade. I will have a real problem picking just one from the 1930's though.

Very nice Bruce, congratulations!

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Bruce, are you sure that 1961 model needs a full recap?

By 1961 most manufacturers had phased out paper caps in their products and were using ceramics and mylar films almost exclusively.

If it used paper caps, yes. As I remember my Soviet radios, they did use paper caps in 50s and 60s. There is some chemical thing that happens to the paper that makes a cap eventually leak.