Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Found a Fisher turntable

Dropped by a local thrift store yesterday and found a Fisher turntable for $20. It had PC8 written on the dust cover, but I couldn't find anything other identifiying markings. Looked like this one:

[Image: http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/m...Kh9svQ.jpg]

I didn't pick it up, as I couldn't find any info about it online. Anybody here know have any insights?

Rebranded BSR turntable from the Sanyo Fisher (in other words, crap) era. You did well in passing on it.

Tip: If the letters in the name FISHER are close together without "THE" in front, then more than likely, it's a POS Sanyo Fisher.

If the letters in the name F I S H E R are spread apart (and without the prefix THE), it is probably from the short few years that Fisher was owned by Emerson before being sold to Sanyo.

And if you see THE FISHER, it's probably a genuine Avery Fisher unit (although THE FISHER continued for a short while after Avery Fisher sold his company to Emerson).

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

If you want a Fisher turntable, keep your eyes open for a The Fisher 401 or 502, which are rebranded Perpetuum Ebner changers. From what I have read, the P-E changer is actually a very good quality unit. The BSR is okay if you like wow, flutter, and odd microphonic noises coming through your speakers while you are playing your records. I thought BSR was okay, years ago, until I acquired a second hand Technics direct drive turntable. I think it was an SL-D3. Wow, what a difference. I wish I still had it.

I thought about getting a 401 or 502, but I ended up with a nice Realistic LAB-440 direct drive turntable which works very well. Maybe not quite as nice as the Technics, but it will do. Icon_smile

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks, Ron!!

That record player looks almost identical to the unit that came with a Sears stereo that was given to me, even down to the case and the plastic dome. It works, and it it will not kill your records, but it is a last generation BSR or BSR MacDonald changer from about the early to mid 70s or later. Every other cabinet stereo from that era uses the same changer, and as RadioTVPhonoNut noted they often come with set of Jimmy Swaggard records.
Regards
Arran

Yet another reason to pass it by! Icon_biggrin