Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

47-1230 Finally Complete

In response to Marsupial, and others that are interested... I took the radio to my Father this weekend and he loved it. He couldn't believe how it looked so nice again. He said he was very proud.. Thanks again to everyone here for all the help in restoring it, he was very happy.

First post!  I know this thread is stale, but I'm looking for some guidance on my restoration.  I own a 47-1230 that belonged to my grandparents.  I repaired it in 1972 but over the years it has just sat and quit working.  I recently decided I wanted to make it work again.  I don't know everything I did to repair it back then but know I replaced the power transformer because I made a note of it on the schematic from the Sams Photofact  Icon_smile  I'm quite comfortable with the electronics and my plan was to just make it work again.  But after seeing this thread and what Warren did with his 47-1230 I've decided I want to restore the cabinet as well.  Mine isn't terrible, but I'd like to make it as close to new as possible.  I'm not a woodworker so I'm looking for some advice.  Warren...did you document your cabinet restoration?  If so can you point me to it?  If not, can you give me some pointers?

Thanks!

Rich

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi Rich, Definteley a lot of work to refinish the cabinet but of course it is doable. First I would use a stripper to get all the old laquer off. After that you need to find a toner laquer to spray on then clear. I used a behlen laquer with a spray gun, But a lot of people use Mohawk laquers in a spray can if you don't have a gun and compresser. I would be glad to answer any questions and try to help you with refinishing it if you like. Let me know what you need from there and I will do my best to help. With the toner laquer you need to put light coats on over and over until it gets to be as dark as you like with light sanding in between to make it smooth. After that put clear laquer and sand it using up to 1500 grit sandpaper to make a smooth finish then polish. Let me know of any questions along the way.

Hey Warren, how does that radio perform on FM? 

Does it drift a lot?

There is one for sale locally that I am tempted to get, but I was mostly interested in the fact that it receives the modern FM band.

(02-27-2017, 10:15 PM)criageek Wrote:  First post!  I know this thread is stale, but I'm looking for some guidance on my restoration.  I own a 47-1230 that belonged to my grandparents.  I repaired it in 1972 but over the years it has just sat and quit working.  I recently decided I wanted to make it work again.  I don't know everything I did to repair it back then but know I replaced the power transformer because I made a note of it on the schematic from the Sams Photofact  Icon_smile  I'm quite comfortable with the electronics and my plan was to just make it work again.  But after seeing this thread and what Warren did with his 47-1230 I've decided I want to restore the cabinet as well.  Mine isn't terrible, but I'd like to make it as close to new as possible.  I'm not a woodworker so I'm looking for some advice.  Warren...did you document your cabinet restoration?  If so can you point me to it?  If not, can you give me some pointers?

Thanks!

Rich

Rich;
  Before you go running out to buy a can of stripper, get a container of Gojo cream hand cleaner, and some rags or paper towels, and rub down the cabinet with it. You may be surprised how good the finish actually is once decades of dirt, grease, and furniture polish are removed.
Regards
Arran

Thanks for the input Warren!  I got excited after seeing what you did to your 47-1230 and sort of got ahead of myself.  lol  After stepping back a bit I see that it will probably be awhile before I'm ready to restore the cabinet, if I do decide to do it.  First I need to make the electronics work.  I'll be ordering caps tomorrow.  I do have a couple of electronics questions for you but I'll start a new thread in the Philco Electronic Restoration phorum.

I'm also working on a GE LC-628 that I'll be using as a guinea pig.  I want to make it work and want to make the cabinet look nice, but it doesn't mean as much to me as the 47-1230 so I'll be using it to learn on.  I've restored two cars but never a vintage radio  ;)

Rich

Attached Files Image(s)

Thanks for the advice Arran!  I appreciate it Icon_smile  I am planning to do exactly as you suggested after viewing a YouTube video showing various methods for cleaning the cabinet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdHYQZ7u0aI

GoJo is one of the methods they recommend.

Thanks!

Rich

Rich, sounds good. yes, if there looks to be any hope for your finish as is, try the gojo as Arran suggested. If it isn't to your liking we here can always help you refinish and repair the electronics . Good Luck

(03-01-2017, 12:51 PM)criageek Wrote:  Thanks for the input Warren!  I got excited after seeing what you did to your 47-1230 and sort of got ahead of myself.  lol  After stepping back a bit I see that it will probably be awhile before I'm ready to restore the cabinet, if I do decide to do it.  First I need to make the electronics work.  I'll be ordering caps tomorrow.  I do have a couple of electronics questions for you but I'll start a new thread in the Philco Electronic Restoration phorum.

I'm also working on a GE LC-628 that I'll be using as a guinea pig.  I want to make it work and want to make the cabinet look nice, but it doesn't mean as much to me as the 47-1230 so I'll be using it to learn on.  I've restored two cars but never a vintage radio  ;)

Rich

Rich;
  You could start a restoration thread on the G.E in the "Other Radios, non Philco" section. The G.E is probably not a bad specimen to practice on before tackling the 47-1230, it looks like it's an AC/DC set, probably with five or six tubes, it's AM broadcast only, and it's old enough not to use mini IF transformers meaning no problems with bad silver mica capacitors. The cabinet doesn't look that bad either, I can't see the top in your photo but it looks solid so even if you have to refinish it you won't have many repairs to make, if any.
Regards
Arran