Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

RCA New Vista VLT62 W

Well, I have finally gone and done it! I bought one of those big, solid state, stereo consoles I always tried to avoid! From what I can tell, this is a 1969 model. Everything works except the phonograph, which sorta works. Only thing I haven't tested is the hookups on the back for the aux/tape connectors and external speakers. Oddly, it doesn't do anything with the speaker select knob on 'both'. Maybe it needs the external speakers to complete the circuit for that? Definitely sounds good.

No matter where you go, there you are.

Neat! Icon_thumbup

If it says "RCA Victor" and has the Nipper logo, it is pre-1968. RCA changed to that ugly new logo in 1968 and dropped the "Victor" from its electronics products, as well as the "His Master's Voice" logo.

I remember as a kid, back in 1968, when I had the chance to look at console stereos, I would do so...and at the age of 8, I could tell older stock from brand new models - the older stock still said "RCA Victor" inside. The new models had that ugly RCA logo, no "Victor." By then I was rather fascinated with the "His Master's Voice" logo. Funny thing, as I grew up, I lost interest in His Master's Voice, Nipper and RCA Victor...maybe because, in my view, RCA dropped everything about their products that was "cool" to me (remember, I was only eight years old when the change was made by RCA).

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hmm, I wonder what year this unit is then? It does say RCA-Victor right on the dial bezel and still has the little Nipper Logo over the RCA logo on the bezel and (worthless) 45 spindle. Yeah, gotta do something about that part.

If you can't find a reference for the model there should be a EIA date code on some of the parts inside, such as the filter can cap.
Regards
Arran

So far all the references I can find on this model, including old newspaper ads, date this as a 1968-1969 model. I'd post one of the ads here, but all the sites demand you have premium memberships to actually see and copy the full size pages. Harrrumph! Icon_thumbdown

It's in Sam's 981-6. If you have access to that you can get an idea on the manufacturing date.

Thanks, Brenda. I'll have to see how far up my friend's manuals go. I am supposed to be visiting him over the weekend.

Could be also, that RCA produced some 1968 models with the old logo (maybe leftover 1967 tooling?) before switching over 100% to that "new" logo and dropping "Victor" from the brand name?

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN