Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Silvertone 45 chassis

I am pulling apart the 45 chassis and have a few questions.

The coils are chewed beyond repair so I will need new ones. I think the vertical one can be saved and just rewound.

1. Do they make special ones? it has 4 prongs coming off of it so can I just buy a 4 prong tube?

2. Can I make a new tube and add the prongs?

Everything else can be repaired except this so I want to have the parts needed for the restoration.

I took off what I needed to to get the chassis clean and am going to recap today.

Attached Files Image(s)

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Yeeeekhhhhh........where do you keep getting those?

I would try to look for a junker chassis for spare parts.
I just looked at that resource I gave you - no they only have a 65 model chassis.
OK.

Yes. You can make new bobbins and put rivets / prongs or simply poke holes and wrap the wire a turn or two to keep it from unraveling.

Ok,
The main issue is that the 45 is a rare bird. There are no schematics I can find and finding another chassis for parts will be impossible. I think this probably is the junker chassis, Icon_lolIcon_lol

Now on to the Ecaps, The box is 2 x 5 mfd so I replaced those with 2 4.7 mfd Ecaps. the large Ecap that was tacked in is 20 Mfd. This was just tacked in to make up for the other 2 I suppose so I just removed it.

Am I wrong?

The last question is that there was a .0005 cap and I replaced it with a .001 cap.

Is this considered ok?

Got the chassis cleaned and recapped but no resistors have been checked or replaced.

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

Kirk

When saying "this cap replaced with that cap - is it OK", you always have to say where the cap is. There are some places where it can be just about antything, and there are some where you watch your single pFs.

Ok I will check that.

I think I found the schematic but not sure. It says it is for model 45
the tube line up for the radio is 6D6, 6A7, 42, 75, 80

Is this correct? http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByModel...017072.pdf

Here is a pic of the .0005. it is grounded and goes to the brown piece with the screw.

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

The vertical mounted coil on top of the chassis may be repairable, or could at least be rewound if you can figure out how many turns of what gauge wire to use, but there is usually more to it then that. The second horizontally mounted coil is pretty much at the EOL stage, it's been chewed to death by rats and must be replaced. The form will have to be made out of some tubing of the same dimensions, new terminals can be riveted onto the tube.
The Silvertone model 45 may be rare, but that does not mean that the contract manufacturer did not produce sets of it's own using the same chassis, or at least sets using a similar front end. It will take some research but this will probably be the best hope for repairing this set.
Regards
Arran

Quote:the tube line up for the radio is 6D6, 6A7, 42, 75, 80

Is this correct? http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByModel...017072.pdf
I don't think so, the tube type and tube count aren't the same. I'll check my Gernsback Service Manuals later and see if it is listed in there. Many of the more obscure sets that aren't listed in Riders for some reason are listed in the Gernsback manuals.

Like Arran mentioned, I think you or Mike's Icon_e_wink biggest challenge will be recreating that coil.

Kirk, you may want to buy some spaghetti tubing/sleeving or small heat shrink to cover the longer exposed leads of components you replace.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Funny you should say that Elliot,
I usually overkill with the tubing but when it is out in the open all by itself, I figured it was safe though I should have given it some protection.

I didnt think that schematic would work but since it said Sears Silvertone 45 I thought I was wrong.

I have to get new tuning grommets and thought I could make the new cardboard piece from a toilet paper roll? It is 1 1/2" long and 1" diameter so I would just copy it. Think thats to use?

Thanks for the info Arran, Hopefully I can find a similar chassis but I think I can make what I need to make due if I don't find one.

Kirk

As of 1/01/2021

The vap you are showing reads 152 which is usually 1.5nF.

So you had 500pF cap, you wanted to replace it with 1,000pF and did replace it with 1,500pF which is 3 times the value.
Again, depending on where it is, might be don't care, might be no-no.

darn,
I mixed my .001 and .0015 together so I will have change it. I dont know if it is a no-no so I will have to get the right .0005 for that spot.

When I get it all back together I could just send it to my chassis guy... Icon_winkIcon_winkIcon_wink

So will a toilet paper tube work if I cut it to size and wax it?

As of 1/01/2021

Depends .... I would use some of those special cardboard papers....you know, thin, glossy dense brown type.
Depending on what coil it is....keep the dimensions.
The inductance of 1-layer coil is proportional to square of radius and inversely proportional to length, so if it is a res. tank you could throw it off.

I agree with Mike, I don't think a toilet paper roll would be stiff enough. Maybe something like a model rocket tube if you can find one the right diameter. Maybe you'll see a similar size coil in another radio you can rob. Hopefully others will have better suggestions, but hang onto the old one for measurements and so your chassis guy can use it for a reference Icon_e_wink

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY

Kirk, the closest schematic I could find was a Mission Bell 41/41AW:

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/931/M0010931.htm

It's the same tube line-up so you might want to see if the pictures of the coils look close to yours. It might be a starting point. My Gernsback manuals didn't have anything.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY

Ok this is a mission bell radio, I got Silvertone from somewhere but I can't remember where.

I will look at the schematic:

Too bad the guarantee is up Icon_lol

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

Quote:...I got Silvertone from somewhere but I can't remember where...
It's a Silvertone made by Mission Bell for Sears and sold in California. A pretty rare set that you're doing a fine job of restoring:

http://sfhobbies.com/sfhobbies/radio/Cal.../index.jsp

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY