Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Magnavox saved from the dump.

I went this past friday to look at a game for sale near me and had this thrown in for free. It was sitting in this family's game room, covered in dry wall dust and splattered with paint. Guess they bought it a few years back at a garage sale for their kids, but the kids were now bored with it and they were just going to throw it out! They didn't even take time to cover it before redoing the room it was in. Anyways, it does work, but the phonograph will need some attention and possibly a cartridge. No idea what model it is, but it is all tube and I think from the early 60s. It doesn't even have the multiplex in it for FM, though it has a spot to hook up an optional one.

No matter where you go, there you are.

It probably is a decent player.

Not something I collect but definitely worth saving.

Well, it does sound pretty good. Only issue is it has almost all the original tubes in it and I think a few are getting weak. With six speakers (the woofers point out the sides) and four 6V6 tubes on the amp, it should perform well once gone through.

It looks like a cross between Colonial/Early American and Mid Century.

No multiplex adapter would date it no newer than 1961, as it was in April of that year that the FCC approved the GE-Zenith FM Stereo system as the standard. (Other companies who made competing FM Stereo systems included Crosley (!), Halstead, and EMI.)

I see the tuner does not have provisions to tune AM and FM separately. Before the FCC adopted the GE-Zenith system, some combination AM and FM stations broadcast the left channel over AM, and the right channel over FM (or vice versa); if you had two separate tuners, or a tuner or receiver which could tune AM and FM independently, you could receive these early stereo broadcasts.

Congratulations...and the price can't be beat! Icon_thumbup

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

You can roll your own FM multiplex adapter using an IC, a perfboard, and some resistors and capacitors. Instructions are easy to find on the web, just Google "FM multiplex adapter" and it will return several hits.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks! I will have to look that up. Now I know why my Arvin table radio has a button that brings both bands in at the same time and claims to be stereo. It has the separately tuned AM and FM bands as does the Emerson TV-Stereo console I have.

That's odd, the function switch has a position that says FM MPX, if that is not FM multiplex what does that mean?
Regards
Arran

That's because the system is already designed to have the multiplex added at a later date. This is even mentioned in the instruction manual that the multiplex would soon be available for purchase to install.

What the model number of the Magnavox?
Regards
Arran

I wish I knew. Guess which part of the tag is missing off the back? Icon_mad