Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 60 first version

I finally found a decent first version 60. I know its a common set but I have been looking for years for one worth restoring and have only seen one at the local swap meets/auctions. It will complete my model 60 collection excluding the different escutcheon/grill cloth styles of the 3rd version (mine is the last style with the large escutcheon) now I only need a first version 89 flat face and a late model 37-84b to complete my 89/84 collections.

Front looks pretty good, how's the top and sides? it's going to look very sharp when you've finished.

Back is as good as the front. If it wasnt for a couple deep scratches I would leave the original finish alone.

Looks pretty nice but I don't think the grill cloth is salvageable, Icon_lol

Scratches can be touched up since the finish looks good in the picture.
Maybe a little GOJO as some people love to recommend.

Gonna make a fine addition to the collection.

Kirk

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

If you look under the top right speaker bolt, there is a 3" long scratch through the finish which shows more so in person than in the picture. If it wasnt for that and a few others I would probably leave it alone. Plus, someone re glued a piece of veneer in the grill and didnt do a very good job, looks like crazy glue.

What is it with model 60's and having the grill cloth and speaker cones torn out of them? Were these things magnets for bratty little kids? My 60L was like that and I've seen other Philco radios with damage like that over the years. I'd still like to add a model 60 cathedral to my stable in the future. Icon_smile

No matter where you go, there you are.