Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Quick Philco Car Radio Makeover

Had some time today so thought I would give this working radio a quick facelift. It just happens to be a Philco '68 Mustang/Cougar factory AM radio just like the one I used in my previous restoration chronicles. I didn't have a correct set of knobs but these Ford ones are as close as one can get to originals. I would have spent a little more time on the casing but didn't want the steaks to burn! Happy 4th to all!
Here are the before pictures (and no I didn't restore the plastic dial lens, it's in the recycling bin).

Craig R.

Attached Files Image(s)

here is the end result..............................................

Craig R.

Attached Files Image(s)

Great result.

Will look nice in Terry's Falcon Icon_smile

Nice! Hope the rest of the ride came out well.

This will be going into another ride which will be determined tomorrow since this unit is currently on eBay. I redo these radios as a part time hobby and have been doing such for about 8 years now. It's both enjoyable and rewarding. Couldn't ask for more!

Craig R.

How did you clean up that chassis?

Update:
Ahh - we can read that here: http://www.philcoradio.com/phorum/showth...p?tid=7707

Icon_biggrinIcon_eekIcon_biggrin

In this instance, I used CLR cleaner on the sides. The top comes off and you can use a scouring pad or SOS pad to clean that surface under some warm water. I have lots of parts radios that I use for repairs including some more presentable tops. Sometimes it's easier to just swap out a nicer looking top.

Craig R.