The PHILCO Phorum
Hallicrafters SX-62 - Printable Version

+- The PHILCO Phorum (https://philcoradio.com/phorum)
+-- Forum: Various and Sundry Categories (https://philcoradio.com/phorum/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Forum: Other Radios (Non-Philco) (https://philcoradio.com/phorum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Hallicrafters SX-62 (/showthread.php?tid=24967)

Hallicrafters SX-62 - bridkarl - 03-29-2024

I’m working on this SX-62. It appears as I read this that it has a 100 mf electrolytic and a .25 cap in parallel connecting to the pot and a common ground for the tone control.

For a 1948 radio this is in decent repairable shape. I’ve had to splice a wire or two that was mouse chewed with new 23 AWG solid wire covered with heat shrink, checking all the resistors, replacing the electrolytics, cleaning, new power cord with a fuse. 
And removing the dead mouse that came with it.

I debated totally pulling apart the wiring harness to put in new wires but decided against that for now.
This came with Sprague caps so I’m leaving them until I see if there’s an issue rather than shotgun replace them.

RE: Hallicrafters SX-62 - Arran - 03-29-2024

That cap is NOT 100 uf or microfarads, it's 100 mmf now known as picofarads, it was more then likely a mica cap, rather then an electrolytic, though that is not necessary with a tone control. 
Regards
Arran

RE: Hallicrafters SX-62 - bridkarl - 03-30-2024

Thanks for clarifying that. There was a 100 mf cap in there which I removed - hence my confusion. I’m sure I have the right value in my parts box.

Apparently a previous owner “fixed” this with whatever random parts he had on hand. The power supply cap is the wrong value. The other electrolytic is a strange brand which I’m convinced was salvage.

This sat in storage in Michigan for 18 years - not good storage evidently judging from the dirt and rust . I’m taking my time going through this - hopefully that will give whatever moisture is in this a chance to dry out.

RE: Hallicrafters SX-62 - RodB - 03-30-2024

<<This sat in storage in Michigan for 18 years >>

The state or the lake? Icon_redface

I've seen these before.

I’m thinking a lake inside Michigan. This came with a dead mouse and his nest. I got this for the cost of shipping. The seller was some flipper who had the idea he’d “restore” it. 

I’ve actually seen worse. It has all the original glass intact, a case without any dents.

RE: Hallicrafters SX-62 - David - 03-30-2024

Have worked on a number of Hallicrafters over the years the resistors will be all good or time to replace them all! Have fun. David

Yea - I’ve restored a number of Hallicrafters and that’s how it goes.

I’m currently checking through the resistors. So far about half are out of spec e.g. 20 percent or more above listed value.

bridkarl - bridkarl - 04-01-2024

This gives you a sense of this. Given this I’m going to in some cases clip the old resistor close to the body and do a wire wrap with the new resistor . Not sure it’s the best practice but I’m wanting not to break anything on these riveted in tube sockets.