The PHILCO Phorum
40-180 pushbutton labels - Printable Version

+- The PHILCO Phorum (https://philcoradio.com/phorum)
+-- Forum: Philco Radio Discussions (https://philcoradio.com/phorum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Philco Cabinet Restoration (https://philcoradio.com/phorum/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: 40-180 pushbutton labels (/showthread.php?tid=4068)

40-180 pushbutton labels - DKinYORKpa - 12-23-2011

Not noticing the sticky about this, my wife painstakingly created the station tabs, after many trial and errors on the exact fit. The rounded corners are necessary, BTW. Mine just had the corners nipped off by me, rather than rounded. They appear to be held in by a subtle ridges in each opening; so the length of each tab is critical. Too long and the tension leaves them too pushed-out. Too short and they are just sitting there, unsupported. It's another labor of love Icon_thumbup . DENNIS

Re: 40-180 pushbutton labels - Phlogiston - 12-23-2011

Here's a pointer you may never need.

Never set your radio outside where the wind can blow inside the back. It will pop all the tabs out the front.

Go ahead, ask me how I know this.

Re: 40-180 pushbutton labels - TA Forbes - 12-24-2011

Oh, ho ho ho! Sometimes the best, well, maybe the most poignant lessone are learned that way!

I learned that Philco 18B tombstones are top heavy and prone to tipping over when you only have the speaker installed. I learned this when my freshly restored cabinet did a nose dive and landed on sharp, metal objects on my work table.

I also learned to NEVER assume that just because the electrolytics are missing on the surface of the chassis of the radio that you just got in and you can see newer caps under the chassis means that they were replaced correctly. I smoked the transformer of my RCA 263 this way, and spent awhile looking for a suitable replacement as a result.
And no, the caps were most definitely not done right. Some sub-moron had replaced both electrolytics with ONE that was equal to the combined value of the originals.

Re: 40-180 pushbutton labels - DKinYORKpa - 12-25-2011

Quote:Here's a pointer you may never need.

Here's another one with those station tabs. As I was slipping in the last one, it fell from my fingers, but disappeared quickly; unlike the others that fluttered to the ground Icon_lol . After removing the bezel to peer inside, the tab was no where to be found. Not wanting to disconnect and remove the chassis, I whined to my wife about my problem. She reached up under the chassis shelf and quickly found it Icon_thumbup .

Re: 40-180 pushbutton labels - BDM - 12-26-2011

Phlogiston Wrote:Here's a pointer you may never need.

Never set your radio outside where the wind can blow inside the back. It will pop all the tabs out the front.

How do you know this? Icon_mrgreen

Re: 40-180 pushbutton labels - Phlogiston - 12-26-2011

BDM Wrote:
Phlogiston Wrote:Here's a pointer you may never need.

How do you know this? Icon_mrgreen

It took a while to find them out in the gravel driveway.

Re: 40-180 pushbutton labels - BDM - 12-26-2011

lol.....sorry Icon_silent