The PHILCO Phorum
Power cord specifications for 52-T1612 - Printable Version

+- The PHILCO Phorum (https://philcoradio.com/phorum)
+-- Forum: Philco Radio Discussions (https://philcoradio.com/phorum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Philco Television (https://philcoradio.com/phorum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Power cord specifications for 52-T1612 (/showthread.php?tid=24852)

Pages: 1 2

Power cord specifications for 52-T1612 - winkydink - 01-27-2024

I have a working Philco 52-T1612 that has a bad power cord.  The TV was recapped and restored over 7 years ago and has been used sparingly since.  I recently moved and was testing the set when I notice the worn cord.  I have replaced this with a standard run of the mill modern 2 prong cord, stop gap, but I don't want this to be a permanent solution for fear of damaging the prongs.

It looks like the cord that was on the TV is not original, so I am looking to find a replacement cord.  What I really need is the specifications for the plug end that goes into the 2 prongs of the TV set (pin spacing, pin diameter).  Once I have that, I can begin my quest for a replacement cord.

Any info the Phorum can provide me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !

P.S.  It's nice to be back after a 7-year absence.

RE: Power cord specifications for 52-T1612 - MrFixr55 - 01-27-2024

Hi WinkyDink (I remember that cartoon from my relative youth, I was about 12 or 13 when it became popular in NY)

Apologies, I don't have the exact spec for the power cord for 1952 model year Philcos, but I suspect that it was a rather standard card used with most TVs from the 1950s. The cord I am thinking of had 2 mounting "ears" on each side of the "female" end that went into the TV. The cord was usually mounted by these ears to either the back cover of the set or to the high voltage cage. Later (1960s /s 1970s models had a clip that held these in place.

Amazingly, I not only could not find any of these cords for sale, I could not even find a picture of one.

Best I can recommend is to measure the OD (outside diameter) and spacing of the pins and find as close a match as possible among the new cords for "brick" computer power supplies, boom boxes, etc.

RE: Power cord specifications for 52-T1612 - RodB - 01-28-2024

If you search eBucks with "cheater cord" you'll find a few, black, white or red. Plus you get some hardware hits. I might have one downstairs.

RE: Power cord specifications for 52-T1612 - David - 01-28-2024

Something like this?      

RE: Power cord specifications for 52-T1612 - Chas - 01-28-2024

Yes, the cord was riveted via the vinyl "ears" at the female end to the hardboard back of the TV/radio. The cheater cord was "for" technicians to power the set with the back off... Though the cheater is a replacement one has to cut off the rivets and install screws to replace the old cord. Often the hardboard back is turned to mush arounf the cord opening.

I have often seen the cords fail at the male or female end from either constantly moving the TV/radio or from cleaning operations pushing the cord about on a daily basis.

Question is there were at least two pin variations, one of equal size pins the other polarized one pin larger. Though I cannot remember if polarity followed through on the male plug end.

RE: Power cord specifications for 52-T1612 - winkydink - 01-28-2024

David,

What you have there is exactly what I am looking for.  Would it be possible to measure the distance between the centers of the two openings and the diameter of the openings.

Here are some photos of the cord that came with the set.  It is obviously not a Philco cord, the tabs are in the wrong position.  Additionally, it has the word "Victor" on the opposite side, so my uneducated guess is this is from an RCA set.  The cord is slightly brittle, especially near the connector going into the set.  Decided that it's not worth risking a short.

RE: Power cord specifications for 52-T1612 - David - 01-28-2024

Sorry not able to help. The picture is from ebay.  David

RE: Power cord specifications for 52-T1612 - Arran - 01-28-2024

That "Victor" cord might be from a movie projector, there used to be a brand of projectors called "Victor", RCA stuff usually has the meat ball logo on it or nothing at all. I've never seen a TV cord with a vertical arrangement like that, it doesn't men that there weren't any but I'm pretty sure that Philco used a more standard design.
Regards
Arran

RE: Power cord specifications for 52-T1612 - MrFixr55 - 01-29-2024

I've seen the "polarized ones" myself. I can't remember if the male end was also polarized. these were used on later (1960s?) transformerless sets. It is likely that your Philco has pins that are the same diameter, as it is likely transformer powered.

RE: Power cord specifications for 52-T1612 - winkydink - 01-29-2024

Yes, the pins are the same size.  I'm going to try and do some measuring today and see if I can find a cord with the correct spacing and pin opening diameter.

I was hoping that there was some documentation about the early 50's sets (like they have today for some electronic equipment) that specifically states, the pins are x-diameter and the spacing is y-inches, etc.

With regard to the moniker.  I grew up in the NYC media market area in the 60's and remember the TV show in the afternoon when I came home from school.  I'm not sure if it was on WOR (channel 9) or WPIX (channel 11).  It was an "interactive" cartoon where you had to draw on the screen (with a protective plastic sheet on the glass) to help Winky with his adventures.  You could buy the plastic screen and crayons if you sent a dollar to the TV station.  Though I'm sure many kids in the day just drew on the glass much to the eventual horror of their parents.

RE: Power cord specifications for 52-T1612 - Chas - 01-29-2024

More than you will want to know about the TV/Radio cheater cord...

https://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=322826

What is still around are cheater extensions, cut the male end off and install a Eagle or Academy male plug, done...

The other option is Sunbeam mixer cords only they be white.

Post a wanted ad and a cheater extension with a replaced male plug could show up for $$.

BTW I did Winky Dink in 52/53 or so FWIR it was before Hurricane Carol. The old Sparton had a flat safety glass. I discovered I could crayon Winky's ladders and wipe it off, except the glass picked up a huge electrostatic charge. When Dad went to watch the Friday Night Fights, the CRT had a huge black spot in the center from repelled electrons. A couple of swipes with Windex back to normal...

Chas

RE: Power cord specifications for 52-T1612 - RodB - 01-30-2024

You probably won't want a modern cord. It's a very good possibility it's a different spacing, probably metric.

RE: Power cord specifications for 52-T1612 - Chas - 01-30-2024

The TV ends have different shaped molding and depth all are the correct pin out.

Post an image of the chassis male connector and an image with the back on so distance from cord flange to the inside of the male connector.

Yes these are available 

I will PM you with details when I find one that fits your images.

Chas

RE: Power cord specifications for 52-T1612 - MrFixr55 - 01-30-2024

@Chas, Yeah, I saw the extensions on ePay. I figured that WinkyDink was attempting to be as period-corect as possible. I was stunned that I was not able to find actual TV cords for the period. Fortunately, you have a nice collection.
@ WinkyDink, was just discussing the show with Ms. Fixr. She had the crayons and screen. She and I are both lifelong NY Metro Area residents, myself living in the Huntington Township area my entire life. I wonder if it was on WOR, as I remember, as a kid, that we used to watch Dick Tracy with "Officer" Joe Bolton and Popeye with "Cap'n" Jack Mc Carthy, (who, in later years, used to MC the NY St. Patrick's Day parade), all on WPIX, Channel 11. NYC had the 3 major networks, NBC, CBS and ABC, and 3 "indies", WOR Ch 9 (They may have been part of RKO), WPIX Ch11 and WNYW, previously WNEW, and originally, WABD (for Allen B. DuMont), Ch5.

RE: Power cord specifications for 52-T1612 - Chas - 01-30-2024

Sorry winkydink

This way off topic, but if your remember, enjoy...

MrFixr55,

Up until this afternoon I thought I would have possibly one cord.

Tv's sort of "came along" but I sold off the last of them a few years back. I have cleaned many TV technician estates and would bring home box lots of tangled cable cords wire. Sort through junk most and wind up the cords and separate. I pricked through and found all those to my surprise. There is about 10 more that are polarized. I also have "some" clips and chassis male connectors.

But the punch out in the TV back determines if the female end needs ears and the front protrusion is of different length depending how forward the chassis is. Some male chassis have "squarish" corners, others rounded. So the real mate has to fit or an oversize one has to have the vinyl trimmed.

I no longer fix or collect TV's yet still have TV's bits and pieces around... I have some 900' of foam twin lead on a large spool. I used to put up TV antennas to so there is still antenna hardware around.. In fact I am going to put up a deep fringe antenna this Spring. Xfinity is charging me 48$ for the locals and extended channels, I do not use the extended offerings so with an antenna I can cut my cable bill to just the Internet at $49/mo.

Winky Dink (tv), yes, sometime in 52-54 I think it was channel (11), at the time with a "Two over One" antenna we had (4) WBZ, (7) WNAC, (10) WJAR & (11) (forgot call). Winky was on one of them. There may still be a crayon with a checkered paper covering floating around, the plastic sheet is long gone.

You can still find these shows on YouTube like Howdy Doody, Soupy Sales, Kukla, Fran & Ollie, Shari Lewis & Lamb Chop, Paul Winchell & Jerry Mahoney, Bob Clampett's "Beany and Cecil". But I remember the adult shows too, Art Linkletter's House Party, My Little Margie, Topper, Rocky Jones Space Ranger, WBZ's Big Brother Bob Emery, Skippy Peanut Butter's, "You asked for It", Zane Grey Theatre, Sargent Preston of the Yukon, (theme song "Donna Diana), Mr. Wizard, Ernie Kovacs (a TV pioneer)"Three to get Ready", Liberace, Korla Pandit, Hallmark Hall of Fame Movies. and more as my memory lights up again...

Our front room, known as the Parlour, had a light blue short nap rug, because I was oldest of three, there were three worn spots in the carpet where we sat one behind the other in front of the Sparton.

The old Sparton went through three sets of selenium rectifiers, FWIR before it was retired by '56. It wasn't scrapped until '73...

Every so often I will watch one of these shows on YouTube, 70 years will melt away and I become just as thrilled as I was then..

I liked my radio dramas too, but to often these were at my bedtime. I have a little Emerson by my bedside that entertained. I often listened to a local morning radio show. Dad's dining room console is but a faded memory it was a Philco but the mode,l nope, when the Sparton arrived, the Philco went away. I remember taunting the speaker of the Philco when "Sugar Blues" (an oldie in early 50's) played...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqaUmY83Rw4

Chas