Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

42-380 Restoration Started

Here is the cabinet of a 42-380 I'd like to redo.
It's seems solid enough but the finish is hazing on the sides and the veneer is peeling off the top. I might have it professionally done but I'd appreciate any advice before I get started.
[attachment=1]
[attachment=0]

VENEER IS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO FIX .I WOULD HAVE A PRO TACKLE THIS ONE . Cost a little but you will get a nice job .
I love theses big consoles if i had room i would buy ever one i came across . Icon_biggrin
Denver.

here is a site that will help you http://www.antiqueradio.org Icon_biggrin
Denver.

Thanks for the advice. By chance any idea of a fair ballpark number. I haven't had any experience getting these redone but I would imagine I'm looking at two or three hundred.

At the least . Lot of money but i think these old sets are worth it . Icon_biggrin

Quotes are in:
Cost to repair veneer: $150 to $180.
Cost of complete refinish (not including photofinish repair) $300 to $460.

I'm thinking how hard can the veneer be to repair or replace...
If anyone has tackled re-veneering and has anything they want to share, I'm all ears.
Thanks,

Thanks to encouragement and inspiration Steve DeClario, I'm going to attempt to reveneer, and refinish.
Steve said the top would come off and what-do-you know, it does.

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
[-]
Recent Posts
bridkarl
I have two PT-6 chassis. On both there is a blue wire that runs from the above chassis transformer to pin 6 of 7C6. So t...bridkarl — 07:23 PM
Cannot Adjust an IF Transformer’s cores
Joseph, now you are an engineer!!RodB — 06:37 PM
PT-6 antenna connections
Hi, reading your explanation I can see the confusion. If you take it one connection at a time it should result in a desi...RodB — 06:34 PM
Cannot Adjust an IF Transformer’s cores
It works! I received the PCBs this morning in the mail, and put everything together. I reused the base from the original...jrblasde — 04:32 PM
PT-6 antenna connections
I seem to have lost my way on this PT-6. I see the antenna aerial transformer schematic - I’m reading pins 1 through ...bridkarl — 12:30 PM
40-150 General questions
Good thing you're a good electrician ... the pictures show a lot of rewiring in your future! Take care and BE HEALTHY!...GarySP — 11:52 AM
40-150 General questions
I think RobB has it right. It is a part number and looks like its stamped on the chassis and that wasn't something you ...klondike98 — 11:41 AM
40-150 General questions
It's most likely a part number. Most of Philco part numbers are in that format. I looked at the parts list for this mode...RodB — 08:10 AM
40-150 General questions
Hi Kevin, No, I don't but I like your Quote about being a good electrician. The way I look at it is "The fact ...MrFixr55 — 08:06 AM
Philco 38-7 Speaker
7K should be fine. While not a perfect match (This transformer is meant for 6V6 tubes), Antique Electronic Supply (AES)...MrFixr55 — 08:03 AM

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently 3057 online users. [Complete List]
» 2 Member(s) | 3055 Guest(s)

>