Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

RCA shortwave radio Model 40X ?

Howdy folks, 
I don't post here as I enjoy reading and learning from you all and don't want to be a pest asking dumb questions. Having said that today I came across an older radio without brand name up front just a Model 40X in the back. There's also a smaller label on the back saying "Licensed only for radio amateur under experimental and broadcast reception" Patents under Radio Corporation of America HAZELTINE AND LATOUR AND AFFILIATED COMPANIES 
I assume radio was produced by RCA for ham radio operators but can find absolutely no info about it on line. Can anyone here help me find some info about it? Thank you in advance.            

My first experience working on the radio was shocking Icon_crazy but I am getting used to it.

The patent licensing notice has no relationship to who manufactured the radio. I don't see a model 40X in the Universal Schematic Locator or in the CD-ROM edition of Bunis. It isn't one of the 1939 RCA series which begins "40X" followed by two digits.

Dale H. Cook, GR/HP/Tek Collector, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
https://plymouthcolony.net/starcity/radios/

Dale is correct. RCA owned the patent for the superhet design and licensed the design to any company with the right compensation. This notice had to be attached to every radio under the license agreement. Sarnoff was not a hospitable person.

This appears to be a post-war model as pre-war radios with phono jacks were rare.

Is this a set that you saw or a project? If you have it there is a way to look up the tube lineup and try to figure it out that way.
I'm a little iffy on the 1st IF trans and the pushbutton assby but I'm a pessimism.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Hi,
I do have the receiver at home on the workbench. Didn't want to mess with it too much without prints/schematic but I guess now I'm gonna have to. Additional detail radio came from a military gentleman from Hawaii who was a radio collector.

My first experience working on the radio was shocking Icon_crazy but I am getting used to it.

Your chassis is a bit different in that it uses both standard base and octal base tubes. I would think that it would be a pre war set but we'll see. Here's something to try: https://grillecloth.com/sylvania/tubelist.php

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thinking about your set maybe it started life as a kit. Looking at the push buttons and the screws on each side. Found a set years ago at a flea market the only markings personal radio. Had wood blocks to align the parts. link to my post. David   https://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthrea...#pid151851

For a start, the layout, and chassis design does not look like an RCA model, also RCA wasn't really in the habit of mixing tube types with different bases. Given the electric pushbuttons that would make the set 1938 or newer, more likely 1939-40 or newer, which if it were an RCA set would mean it would have an RCA jack and not a pair of pin jacks, and more then likely included a magic eye tube. I'm not sure when the RCA jack debut but it may have been around 1937, the 1935 and earlier models had a pair of screw terminals, none used pin jacks like an old set of headphones.
I do not think that this was a kit, if it were then why would it have "Tested by #11" stamped on the back apron? It looks like something made by one of the Chicago independents, Belmont, Continental Radio and Television (Admiral), Sentinel (though the chassis doesn't like like one of theirs). It's not a Crosley, I don't think it's an Arvin, or a Detrola. It could have been made by Colonial, which was in New York state, they used to make stuff for Sears.
Regards
Arran

The push buttons just do not add up. Looking from the back of the set me thinks not part of the set when it left the factory. David

David, I think you're right. When leaving the factory it would have a bezel around the buttons. It's a strange one.

Hello Rob,
I think the bezel around the buttons is just missing because you can see where the wood is a different color where bezel was covering the wood !

Sincerely Richard

Looking at the push buttons and the knobs just do not match to my old eyes. David