Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Which model?

This is a 2 piece model, I originally thought it was 37-670x  but the top part of mine is a separate piece from where the speaker grill is. I searched and can't find any tag inside that shows the model number.

Attached Files Image(s)

Welcome to the Phorum!! Icon_wave

Someone here will surel recognize it but a pic of the back might also help.

Not original (in other words, it didn't leave the Philco factory that way).

It looks like someone cut a 37-670X cabinet apart, and then joined it back together with wooden trim.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

The guy I bought it from said it had belonged to his Grandmother and it was made in 1955. I bought it not having any idea what year it was but the price was reasonable and I liked the looks. The top and bottom both have speakers and the bottom has a long speaker cord wound up inside.

[Image: http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x245/...G_0420.jpg]

Some pics from the rear of the top may help us nail down what chassis is in the top section. With a speaker mounted (side firing I assume) in that top section then my guess is someone had a 37-670 and created a two section deal out of the existing cabinet. Any Philco speaker only cabinet Ive seen is coupled originally with a much older type chassis housed in a separate cabinet...none of which(to my recollection) had speakers.
Nothing "wrong" with what you have there it simply may be a reworked original of some sort.
But lets see some pics of the guts!
Edit/Add: And please don't think Im running down or devaluing out of hand what you have there. But everyone deserves to know exactly what they have purchased.

The very fact that it is 37-xxx radio means it is 1937, not 50-s.
And yes, it is a 30-s Philco and it was cut.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Here are pictures of the back

[Image: http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x245/...G_0423.jpg]

[Image: http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x245/...fde3_1.jpg]

http://www.radiomuseum.org/images/radio/...503460.jpg

^^That will give you an idea of the extent of modifications made to that chassis.
At least you have an interesting history of sorts with the radio...what it was originally and what it has become.
If you like it?  That's all that counts.
That a 78 year old Philco is still giving someone pleasure is remarkable enough.