Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Polishing Bakelite

The following advice came to us through the webmaster email address. The poster (Vickie) could not navigate the phorum but wanted to offer the advice so here it is...

"Wanted to give advice on how to get mirror Finnish on bakelite but your website to hard to use, so tell you, my friend has a ford pop with bakelite dash,was oxidised looking old, got him to 4000 grit sand it then I polished it on my bench grinder I have two wheels one sisal, one loose calico, used blue plastic compound wax stick,came up better than new , but it takes some time as you have to keep it moving so as not to make to much heat in one spot, hope this helps restoring anyone who wants shiny bakelite"

Interesting info, I have also heard that one must be real careful when sanding Bakelite, particulate matter.

Paul

Tubetalk1

There are different formulations of Bakelite. These variations make it sensitive to UV, alkali, to the type filler, size of filler and amount of filler.

The most important caution in re-surfacing Bakelite is be aware when filler is reached. By molding technique, the filler migrates away from the surfaces leave the opaque resin on top. Sand through the resin and reach the filler/resin, no polish will help at that point. The solution is to use an opaque toning lacquer, at that time the desired tone can be used or a lacquer solid color paint.

The same model radio can be expected to polish in the same manner, but another model/brand may react differently, such as have filler very close to the surface.

GL

Chas

Pliny the younger
“nihil novum nihil varium nihil quod non semel spectasse sufficiat”

I used shoe polish.
Good enough.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Hello Guys,
Yes , I have heard people use shoe polish like Morzh talks about .
I have never tried sanding it .

Sincerely Richard

I have used Tempo automotive wax paste made in the Czech Republic several times and have had excellent results. Before polishing, you need to sand with fine automotive abrasive paper size 1000, then wash, dry and polish with Tempo wax paste. The protective wax layer will keep the shine and great look for a long time

Old Tube Radio Online Museum / Музей ретро радіо
https://www.youtube.com/user/RadioSvit?d...lymer=true

Sincerely Peter
З повагою Петро

Hello Peter,
Glad to hear from you and Yes one the groups on facebook that I am part of one the members has auto detailing business and he also uses car wax and buffer to bring the shine back !

Sincerely Richard

Have used armor all the stuff for making tires shine. David

hello David,
I have never used that before I have General Electric radio that will need a lot polishing is finish is flat and has streaks too .
Sincerely Richard

The armor all just soaks right in the bakelite. David

Quote:The armor all just soaks right in the Bakelite.
The surface has been "cleaned" in the past and the top "layer" is gone. Now down to the porous filler material.

A build type polish with a wax may work, if it does not then some sort of Artists, spray acrlic/sealer. Last resort but with through cleaning is opaque lacquer toner, that, will cover all sins...

Pliny the younger
“nihil novum nihil varium nihil quod non semel spectasse sufficiat”

I revived a Bendix bakelite cabinet with Howard Restor-A-Finish after cleaning with 0000 steel wool then oms. It took 4 weeks for the Howard to totally dry. Sprayed it with clear lacquer. It wasn't as shiny as original but it might have been better with beeswax. The marbling really came through nicely.