Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

A Rogers console model 10 65

I just finished this rogers  10 65 console.
 i bought the radio last fall and during the winter I did the chassis.

Now I have completed the cabinet. I really like the veneer on these Rogers radios.

The legs were a bit of a challenge getting the old finish off.

I find that a lot of these radios had a very nice veneer covered up with a dark  lacquer.
 I believe it was  the style then, to have very dark furniture.???
This model is very similar to the rogers 10- 12 and the 10-85.
 It has the drum tuning indicator and the 24 volt tuning light.
 Dan in Calgary

Attached Files Image(s)

Living in Calgary Alberta

Dan,

this is a really beautiful radio.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Very nice work Dan.

Jim

Dan that restoration is absolutely beautiful and I agree Roger consoles have the best veneers. I wish we could get some of those in the US.
If you don't watch it, you could pass up Fred for the best restorer.

Dick

I do appreciate the comments, but  I think I would have a long way to go to catch up with Fred,
as he does a beautiful job   Thank you
 Dan in Calgary

Living in Calgary Alberta

Sometimes they needed the shaded lacquers, the sides, and skirts, on Roger's less expensive models used cheaper woods like ash, or maple, and the colour and grain were not always consistent. These days it's more a matter of personal taste, but when you were marketing a mass produced product they needed the sets to look more or less alike when they came off the assembly line. I had a five tube Rogers battery console from around that era and the sides were solid ash, much like that 10-65, but the front corners were a beaded poplar with no grain, all had a dark lacquer on them, only the control panel, and the top, had higher end woods, and it was mostly veneer. In some cases the grain of the ash would look quite nice, in other instances it could have knots, holes, or be glued together from narrow strips where the grain would be all over the place. It also likely depended on which furniture factory in Southern Ontario made the cabinets, McLagan made a lot of them, like that battery console cabinet I had, Kneichel made the ones for the 10-12s I think, Strathroy Furniture made others.
One thing I have learned about all Rogers sets from that era, you really need to check the resistors, some were 1/3 Watt, with spade terminals, and they like to drift upward, much like the other "dogbone" BED code resistors. They did like using Sprague brand paper caps, which are often still good, but you can't trust 80 year old paper caps. Then there is the rubber/gutta percha covered wire, something they had in common with their American Majestic cousins in Chicago
Regards
Arran