Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Is using ammonia to clean coils really a good idea ?

I have read throughout forums that using ammonia to clean coils to neutralize the acid from the plastic breaking down is a good idea before rewinding.
However I have also read that ammonia removes varnish, which is what the wire is coated with.
I can attest that ammonia will indeed remove varnish from coils.
So the big questions are is the ammonia to be diluted, what ratio, and how long of an application ?
OR is there a better alternative to remove the risk from eating the varnish away and still neutralizing the acidic surface ?

Also while we are on this subject, on Philco 70, 90 the primary is 32 awg.
Has anyone rewound the secondary and what gage did you use ? Were you successful ?

Don't do it, ammonia reacts with copper in a very negative way, same with brass, not quite like an acid but it can make it brittle. I would use something like baking soda or washing soda to neutralize acid if you are worried about it, at least it won't damage the copper.
Regards
Arran

This is a link that references ammonia.  I think I will stick with baking soda.
http://www.philcorepairbench.com/tips/svctip36.htm

In my lab I sometimes use regular soap to neutralize after acid treatment. Really anything alkaline should work.

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
[-]
Recent Posts
Hickok 288x
Isnt the chassis and ground the same on this machine? My other 288x that works is an identical machine and it does not h...daveone23 — 07:05 AM
Just got a 49-1613 need to know...everything!
According to the gallery, it has an AM/FM radio, with a two speed phonograph, the 78 side is an automatic changer, the 3...Arran — 01:32 AM
Philco 37-???
During the 1937 and 38 model years Philco was big on the concept of what would now be called a "modular" desig...Arran — 12:23 AM
Replicating (dogbone) resistors what method have you used ?
Hello Dale, I am talking about using the RTV as the mold. Well John, yes, I have seen that design I think it was one o...radiorich — 11:55 PM
Philco 66 No Plate Voltage
Like with Mike I have also run into the experience of an error in the diagram, though I can't remember in which radio, I...Arran — 11:43 PM
Does the 20 Deluxe use photofinish?
Hello mr fixr, I don'y think my deluxe is photofinish . Sincerely Richardradiorich — 11:18 PM
HiFi (Chifi) tube amp build - but my own design.
@TV Man, try tapping the plate cap of any shunt reg with a lead pencil. Or are the zeniths uninsulated? It's been too ...MrFixr55 — 10:00 PM
Does the 20 Deluxe use photofinish?
Hi Pholks, I fixed a Model 20 for a friend (Phriend?  Am I carrying the Ph thing too far?)  and received in payment a...MrFixr55 — 09:45 PM
Hickok 288x
Hello Dave, I also would use safety capacitors ! Sincerely Richardradiorich — 09:24 PM
HiFi (Chifi) tube amp build - but my own design.
Mike, that is so funny! I was the exact opposite! I experimented with a Radio shack transistor course, and decided tubes...TV MAN — 07:48 PM

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently 3153 online users. [Complete List]
» 2 Member(s) | 3151 Guest(s)

>