Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 37-9 dial calibration problem

Hello, I have a Philco 37-9 console that I'm about finished restoring and it is needing alignment but when I checked the schematics that I printed from Nostalgia Air it didn't show how to calibrate the dial with the glowing beam indicator. Any info out there on this. Thanks, Ken

Hi Ken

I looked at the original Philco Service Bulletin for Model 37-9 and, surprise, it does NOT give this information. However, the Bulletin for the similar Models 37-10 and 37-11 does give the info, and is as follows:

Dial Calibration

In order to adjust this receiver correctly the dial must be aligned to track properly with the tuning condenser. To do this proceed as follows:

1. Loosen the shaft coupling set screws. Then turn the tuning condenser fully closed and the dial to the first index line. Now tighten the shaft coupling set screws, and rotate the dial until the 520 K.C. mark is midway between the index line and the glowing beam indicator.

2. With condenser in this position loosen the set screws of the shaft coupling on the tuning condenser.

3. Then turn the tuning dial until the glowing beam indicator is centered on the index line.

NOTE: Be careful when turning the dial that the position of the tuning condenser is not disturbed.

4. Now tighten the shaft coupling set screws.

[Image: http://www.philcoradio.com/ebay/dialcal.jpg]

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron, the alignment should complete the restoration of the radio. it seems to be a nice radio and has all Philco branded tubes in it. I have a 48-482 that I will be restoring soon. Ken

Users browsing this thread:
[-]
Recent Posts
PT-6 antenna connections
Hi, reading your explanation I can see the confusion. If you take it one connection at a time it should result in a desi...RodB — 06:34 PM
Cannot Adjust an IF Transformer’s cores
It works! I received the PCBs this morning in the mail, and put everything together. I reused the base from the original...jrblasde — 04:32 PM
PT-6 antenna connections
I seem to have lost my way on this PT-6. I see the antenna aerial transformer schematic - I’m reading pins 1 through ...bridkarl — 12:30 PM
40-150 General questions
Good thing you're a good electrician ... the pictures show a lot of rewiring in your future! Take care and BE HEALTHY!...GarySP — 11:52 AM
40-150 General questions
I think RobB has it right. It is a part number and looks like its stamped on the chassis and that wasn't something you ...klondike98 — 11:41 AM
40-150 General questions
It's most likely a part number. Most of Philco part numbers are in that format. I looked at the parts list for this mode...RodB — 08:10 AM
40-150 General questions
Hi Kevin, No, I don't but I like your Quote about being a good electrician. The way I look at it is "The fact ...MrFixr55 — 08:06 AM
Philco 38-7 Speaker
7K should be fine. While not a perfect match (This transformer is meant for 6V6 tubes), Antique Electronic Supply (AES)...MrFixr55 — 08:03 AM
40-150 General questions
I discovered a stamp on the underside of the breadboard on my Philco 40-150. It is"56-1417' in black ink with numbe...Kevin_D — 07:14 AM
Philco 38-7 Speaker
FYI the Impedance of the HR20 (the one I have) secondary of the audio transformer is 5 ohms. The 38-7XX speaker is suppo...tludka — 04:22 PM

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently 2771 online users. [Complete List]
» 3 Member(s) | 2768 Guest(s)

>