Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

RCA V-100

I picked up an RCA V-100 at my local flea market this past weekend. This model is an AM Radio / Phonograph combination. The cabinet, dial, phono, knobs, trim etc are all in pretty decent shape. The chasis looks pretty original (from the top anyway -- haven't removed it yet). All tubes tested good.

One item I did notice that I will need to tend to along with the caps --- the speaker cone is about 90% disintegrated. This particular unit has a 5" electrodynamic speaker -- and from what I've gleaned - I'm not likely to find a replacement for it too easily. I haven't tested the field coil yet -- but presuming its good -- and since I'm a purist at heart -- I'd like to try to salvage the field coil and retrofit a new pm type speaker in the basket of the original one. I'm interested in hearing from anyone that's tried this -- to learn the caveats! Additionally - just in case the coil is bad - how would I wire a replacement coil/resistor combination to compensate for the original field coil??

Thanks in advance

Ira

If the field coil is good I would seriously consider reconing it.

The V-100 Is a nice little phono-radio, as many of RCA's sets wer. I haven't my service book within reach for that set,peaker is only a 5 inch, you're wasting time trying to resurrect a cheap speaker. I don't recall if the set has a transformerless power supply, or a power transformer. But your best bet is to just get a PM speaker that fits into the set well, and replace the field with a 2000 ohm 5 watt wire wound resistor.

Users browsing this thread:
[-]
Recent Posts
Cannot Adjust an IF Transformer’s cores
Joseph, now you are an engineer!!RodB — 06:37 PM
PT-6 antenna connections
Hi, reading your explanation I can see the confusion. If you take it one connection at a time it should result in a desi...RodB — 06:34 PM
Cannot Adjust an IF Transformer’s cores
It works! I received the PCBs this morning in the mail, and put everything together. I reused the base from the original...jrblasde — 04:32 PM
PT-6 antenna connections
I seem to have lost my way on this PT-6. I see the antenna aerial transformer schematic - I’m reading pins 1 through ...bridkarl — 12:30 PM
40-150 General questions
Good thing you're a good electrician ... the pictures show a lot of rewiring in your future! Take care and BE HEALTHY!...GarySP — 11:52 AM
40-150 General questions
I think RobB has it right. It is a part number and looks like its stamped on the chassis and that wasn't something you ...klondike98 — 11:41 AM
40-150 General questions
It's most likely a part number. Most of Philco part numbers are in that format. I looked at the parts list for this mode...RodB — 08:10 AM
40-150 General questions
Hi Kevin, No, I don't but I like your Quote about being a good electrician. The way I look at it is "The fact ...MrFixr55 — 08:06 AM
Philco 38-7 Speaker
7K should be fine. While not a perfect match (This transformer is meant for 6V6 tubes), Antique Electronic Supply (AES)...MrFixr55 — 08:03 AM
40-150 General questions
I discovered a stamp on the underside of the breadboard on my Philco 40-150. It is"56-1417' in black ink with numbe...Kevin_D — 07:14 AM

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently 2730 online users. [Complete List]
» 2 Member(s) | 2728 Guest(s)

>