Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Zenith...over rated or not!

This is a very interesting thread!
It is very much like the "battle" we have here in Denmark with the Bang&Olufsen brand. I'm not able to give a lot of inputs on the Zenith products because they were not sold over here. I do have a Z console myself, a 12U159, and to me it sounds wonderful, but as mentioned in another reply I think the acoustic adapter on the large main speaker has a lot to do with it. It is very easy to tune the sound to the room. I have an unrestored Philco, so I can't really compare the Zenith with others, and we didn't even have those large powerful consoles here.
Well about the B&O brand, it was in my opinion always overrated. Especially later on when they started all their modern design models late 50's - early 60's (among lots of other brands as well). Although Denmark is a very small country, we had more than 30 companies producing radios/tv's (only 24 of them managed to produce tv's) from 1925-1975.
The only one left now is B&O, and they are HIGHLY overrated. In a biography about the B&O company, one of the founders Peter Bang or Svend Olufsen told, that they were not even that good at building radios Icon_e_biggrin They were better at the AF section. And I heard a lot of the older technicians say the same thing: vintage B&O radios/tv's are in general only standart engineering/products. Other brands where a lot better tecnically. Just like it seems with the Zenith products.
The brand that could manage the highest overall quality here was Neutrofon, and later Linnet&Laursen. Early Neutrofon radios are rare because they were very expensive. Linnet&Laursen started in 1946. The founders, Harald Linnet and Valdemar Hofman Laursen were B&O employees until they split with them to start their own factory, building higher quality products.

SABA has an interesting history.

Also, they were responsible for some of the greatest recordings of jazz pianist Oscar Peterson.

Well, folks, this may come as a shock to some of you, but I'll be getting a Brand Z 9S262 at the end of this month, and possibly a 5S29 as well. Not sure where the 9S262 will go...possibly in my office at work in place of the Philco 19X which I may bring home and put...well, I don't know where I'll put it, but I'll figure something out...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Icon_thinkIcon_problemIcon_thumbup

Joe Bratcher near Louisville, KY

Quote: but I'll be getting a Brand Z 9S262 at the end of this month, and possibly a 5S29 as well.
The 9S262 was my first shutter dial/motor drive Zenith find. I found it years ago at a flea mkt in Ohio and at the time I didn't even realize it had those features. It has a lot of sentimental value now and still has a spot in my displayed collection.

The 5S29 is just a real pretty little 1936 tombstone that had a small role in the 2009 movie Public Enemies:
[Image: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v348/j...s/5S29.jpg]

I used to have a 5S29 but the cabinet was in pretty bad shape so I eventually traded it off many years back. A couple of years ago I decided I liked the styling enough to try and find another one if the price was ever right. Then I was looking over radios in my garage for a Kutztown trip and moved a large set to discover a very nice 5S29 I had forgotten about tucked away behind it! As soon as I saw it I recognized when and where I bought it, but it was like Christmas finding a radio on your wish list without even leaving home Icon_crazy

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

I like many different brands of tube radios and have leaned toward the Z's. At last count I had 33 total including a very few transistors. Consoles include 8S154, 9S262, 7S363 and a Super VIII (if that's a console); 2 tombstones--5S29 and 4F133, and numerous table models including a J615 which was my first collected radio. But... Philco is in 2nd place. Styling has always been a factor in my pursuit of a "new" one. I suppose that is what keeps me from looking at 1920s and earlier sets...not much cabinet beauty IMHO.Icon_wink

Generally speaking I agree with the brand "Z" comments made by others but I would point out that later models such as the H-845 and MJ1035 table radios are, IMHO, top of the line performers and should not necessarily be painted with the same brush as some earlier Zeniths. Icon_e_wink

Larry