Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

First Coil Rewind Question - 90

Hey guys,
I just rewound the 90 RF coil the best I could - putting on 3-4 turns at a time, then snugging then against the previous ones. I put 95 turns of the 34 gauge wire on there, but there are some tiny gaps. Also, in a few spots it looks like the wire may have jumped over a couple others. Is this OK or does every wire have to lay side by side in the exact order without any accidental overlap? What a real pain in the butt this is. I just gained more respect for you guys. Thanks for your input-
Mark

In a perfect world yes it should nice and smooth and flat. Will it work? sure. Next time make it neater.
Terry

Hey Ter-
It looks pretty good but i was worried about it jumping over a couple times. However, I'm also working on an AM broadcasting station and I noticed the RF coil I bought for that winds over and over without any order to the strands, so I figured it would be OK. Just wanted to double check. Thanks-
Mark

Mark

It's just fine.

thanks guys for the support. the 90 is roaring now. i tried to realign the trimmer for the first detector that i just rewound and it didn't need any aligning. I can't believe how well the set picks up distant channels. The 90 truly lives up to its reputation. The speaker is original too and sounds like it's brand new. By the way- the wire I used was from ebay (brand: Temco) and had no problem fitting on the outer plastic sleeve of the coil. I heard this can sometimes be an issue. I'm starting on a phonograph restoration next so we'll see how that goes. Take it easy fellows-
Mark