Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

double chassis Philco ID

Hi guys, this is a shot in the dark. I saw a Philco radio in an Antique shop, couldn't find the model #. It was a table top radio not a cathedral or a tombstone.
The only thing I can remember was that it had two chassis's. The chassis on the right is smaller and connected to the larger one by a plug like a speaker would be. This is looking from the back.
I wish I had taken picture's of it. Would like a model or models that would have this type of chassis. I believe it is a 1930-40 vintage. Did some searching but no luck...............

Any help would be appreciated .

Jim
Spring Lake MI

Hi Jim,
The only multiple chassis radios Philco built in the 30's would have been the 37-690 and 38-690 consoles. In a table set...possibly what you saw was a farm battery set, with either a power converter (battery eliminator) added, or if it was a 6 or 32 volt set, possibly it was a vibrator power supply.

The only other possibility I can think of in a 1930's table set would possibly be something with the model 4 shortwave converter added...but I believe that only the 470 and 490 consoles had the converter built in to them from the factory. Otherwise the converter was a stand alone unit.

Sorry for the late reply, it is a 38-40T model.

Jim
Spring Lake MI

Hi Jim,
The 38-40T is a 6 volt battery set, with a separate 115 volt power supply in it, so it could be operated on either battery or AC modes. Kinda odd to do it that way, but I have a 6 volt set from Phonola (Canadian brand) that is done that way as well.

Users browsing this thread:
[-]
Recent Posts
Correct model 84 Ac plug an cord type
From what I read Philco went to using brown rubber power cords in 1936, so cloth was used in the 1935 and earlier models...Arran — 11:25 PM
Hi Bruce, I have not worked on an 84, but in general, power cords for almost any radio prior to 1938 was cloth covered...MrFixr55 — 08:34 PM
Restoring Philco 38-14
OK, well, so after staring at the sch again, I realized the problem had to be the #12/12A padder. I put a scope on the o...morzh — 08:15 PM
Hello Bruce, I mostly use brown far as my cloth powercords go ! Here is the plug that I have used bakelite Acorn style...radiorich — 08:05 PM
Looking for as correct as can find the right Ac plug an the correct colored cloth line. Ive seen many old photos but mos...Bruce — 04:13 PM
Restoring Philco 38-14
Rod Two Y-caps make sense if you use them from L/N to the chassis; this is only makes sense in the transformer radios...morzh — 10:11 AM
Restoring Philco 38-14
Mike, I'm curious about a specific use of he Y cap. Lately I've seen a single cap across the power transformer primary. ...RodB — 09:01 AM
Restoring Philco 38-14
hello morzh , That sounds like a plan ! Sincerely Richardradiorich — 07:45 AM
Restoring Philco 38-14
Richard, It helped some, but I still had the whining when engaging the rear power strip (I did not realize it was fro...morzh — 07:07 AM
Restoring Philco 38-14
Hello morzh, Yes , that dreaded hum in my room where i do alighment I have my cable modem and router plus desktop plus ...radiorich — 11:25 PM

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently no members online.

>