Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Restoring a Philco 71 Code 121-No sound

This radio has an inoperative On-Off switch. I jumpered a bypass on the switch to allow the radio to power on. Voltages are about 10% above spec on the plates and within spec on the screen grids. Filament voltages are spot on.  All tubes have been tested OK. Filaments and dial light are lit. My line voltage is 115 volts AC but when I measure the voltage on P/N 49 (the Bakelite block that encloses 2 x 0.015 safety capacitors [I just replaced these within the block after removing the contents], I am getting a 55.6 volt reading on the side leg that connects to the On-Off switch.  Also, there is no sound at all (even static or hum) coming out of the speaker. Incidentally, another 71-B that I rebuilt has the same voltage on the Bakelite leg as the line voltage.

Could this be an issue with the transformer ?

One thing you should not be interested in is that very reading on the C49.
What you reading is, well, the 115VAC divided by two by your capacitors. If you tried to read it relative to the chassis.
Proceed with the essential stuff; this is just unimportant.
Your xfmr is fine and your readings that are 10% up are fine.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.