Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Record player function H268KLK Model

Hello!
I am about to purchase a philco H268KLK cabinet from a friend. The device powers up and the radio/speakers sound great. The record player portion has a few slide switches, one is for rpm (33-45-etc), the second I cant remember it's function at the moment, but the third is the (stop-start-etc) button and it is fixed in place. It doesn't feel broken, it just doesn't want to move. The other slide buttons slide with ease. I primarily want this cabinet for listening to records....Does anyone know how to use the record player/ get it to start with this specific model? Sorry for poor description!

Thanks!

Welcome to the Phorum! I moved your thread out of Tech Support. That is for reporting issues with the Phorum. Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

I don't know your specific model, but the turntable, being a mechanical device, unless having been rebuilt before, might require full service, from motor cleaning and lube to other mechanical things (idler, etc) being rebuilt/lubed and such.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Can these things be done locally usually? And do they cost much on average?

You need to find out if a local radio / antique electronics club exists where you are.
Rarely some old guys still alive who used to do that for living many years ago.
There is Voice of Music website, but I don't know if Gary services these as part of his businesd: he sells parts and such.

Someone else here might know more of local places.
I learned to do it myself. Got parts from Gary.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Not too many repair shops are around anymore. You might want to contact the Antique Radio Collectors & Historians of St. Louis. Maybe they can refer you to someone local to assist you. Photos will help ID the turntable. These folks might be able to help as well. https://www.turntableneedles.com Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

This link is to a up-to-date list of antique radio/phono suppliers. Though not directly indicated, some do service.

https://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/vie...p?t=419565

Posting to the WTB: Service in the ARF groups classified may reveal  someone who is local to you.

Keep in mind any electronic device that has past into obsolescence will require evaluation and pre-emptive service. This is essential if the unit is to function for any period of time.

GL

Chas

Pliny the younger
“nihil novum nihil varium nihil quod non semel spectasse sufficiat”

Hi H268KLK, and welcome to the Phorum. Lots of phriendly knowledgeable pholks here. (See a pattern here?)

Is this a long cabinet stereo from the late 1950s or 1960s? Tube or transistor? +1 on the comments from other Pholks. Definitely post pics.

During the late 1930s and 1940s, to the early 1950s, some manufacturers including Philco and RCA manufactured their own turntables, especially units with only a speed of 78 RPM. However, by the late 1950s to 1960s, the US built Voice of Music (VoM) turntable became the standard for many "home entertainment systems", but Garrard and BSR from Britain became popular, especially Garrard in the 1970s. Magnavox used another European brand, Collaro.

The VoM turntable was a decent, medium fidelity turntable that was usually supplied with a ceramic cartridge. However, I do not remember seeing any turntable, especially those from the mid 1950s to the 1970s that had 3 levers. I can only assume that the 3 levers are for Speed, Manual / Auto and Off, and the third one possibly being for size selection. Most VoM, Garrard and BSR changers could sense the record size.

This system is likely 50-70 years old. Grease does harden and turn into glue. This or rust may be the reason the frozen controls.

One thing that we have now that we didn't have when I was a kid is cameras in our cell phones. If you are going to try to service the changer yourself, take pictures and label each part with the sequence number of disassembly. Parts, other than the motor and rubber "capstan" wheel can be cleaned with kerosene, then alcohol. Try to determine what was used to lubricate, then use that product sparingly. Levers (where they rub or pivot), and the eccentric grooves of the tone arm positioning gear can be lubed with a good lithium grease. Pivot shafts for the ton arm, capstan, etc. can be lubed with a sparingly applied drop of 3 in 1 Oil or Horologic (clock) oil. It is highly important to keep oil or grease away from the capstan wheel. This is the rubber wheel that interfaces the motor to the turntable rim.
One can try to recondition the capstan wheel by placing in a drill and holding against a sanding block loaded with coarse paper. However, the fix will likely be temporary. There are folks out in the internet world who "rebuild" capstan wheels.

Hope this helps.

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55