Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

RCA V-100

I picked up an RCA V-100 at my local flea market this past weekend. This model is an AM Radio / Phonograph combination. The cabinet, dial, phono, knobs, trim etc are all in pretty decent shape. The chasis looks pretty original (from the top anyway -- haven't removed it yet). All tubes tested good.

One item I did notice that I will need to tend to along with the caps --- the speaker cone is about 90% disintegrated. This particular unit has a 5" electrodynamic speaker -- and from what I've gleaned - I'm not likely to find a replacement for it too easily. I haven't tested the field coil yet -- but presuming its good -- and since I'm a purist at heart -- I'd like to try to salvage the field coil and retrofit a new pm type speaker in the basket of the original one. I'm interested in hearing from anyone that's tried this -- to learn the caveats! Additionally - just in case the coil is bad - how would I wire a replacement coil/resistor combination to compensate for the original field coil??

Thanks in advance

Ira

If the field coil is good I would seriously consider reconing it.

The V-100 Is a nice little phono-radio, as many of RCA's sets wer. I haven't my service book within reach for that set,peaker is only a 5 inch, you're wasting time trying to resurrect a cheap speaker. I don't recall if the set has a transformerless power supply, or a power transformer. But your best bet is to just get a PM speaker that fits into the set well, and replace the field with a 2000 ohm 5 watt wire wound resistor.

Users browsing this thread:
[-]
Recent Posts
Correct model 84 Ac plug an cord type
From what I read Philco went to using brown rubber power cords in 1936, so cloth was used in the 1935 and earlier models...Arran — 11:25 PM
Hi Bruce, I have not worked on an 84, but in general, power cords for almost any radio prior to 1938 was cloth covered...MrFixr55 — 08:34 PM
Restoring Philco 38-14
OK, well, so after staring at the sch again, I realized the problem had to be the #12/12A padder. I put a scope on the o...morzh — 08:15 PM
Hello Bruce, I mostly use brown far as my cloth powercords go ! Here is the plug that I have used bakelite Acorn style...radiorich — 08:05 PM
Looking for as correct as can find the right Ac plug an the correct colored cloth line. Ive seen many old photos but mos...Bruce — 04:13 PM
Restoring Philco 38-14
Rod Two Y-caps make sense if you use them from L/N to the chassis; this is only makes sense in the transformer radios...morzh — 10:11 AM
Restoring Philco 38-14
Mike, I'm curious about a specific use of he Y cap. Lately I've seen a single cap across the power transformer primary. ...RodB — 09:01 AM
Restoring Philco 38-14
hello morzh , That sounds like a plan ! Sincerely Richardradiorich — 07:45 AM
Restoring Philco 38-14
Richard, It helped some, but I still had the whining when engaging the rear power strip (I did not realize it was fro...morzh — 07:07 AM
Restoring Philco 38-14
Hello morzh, Yes , that dreaded hum in my room where i do alighment I have my cable modem and router plus desktop plus ...radiorich — 11:25 PM

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently no members online.

>