Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

630 power transformer question.....

Hi Guys.....
On the bench as I write is the power transformer of a Philco 630. The original transformer has died and went to flux heaven. The replacement, a known good transformer (so far), needed the usual new extension leads and a trip to the painting booth.
What I need to know before installation is the idle current draw on the AC primary side of the transformer. Hooked up at 117 VAC, I'm seeing a draw of 160 ma. (+/- 10 ma.)
Is this number in the ballpark? Unlike new transformers, I know the efficiencies of these older units can vary quite a bit and before I go about installing this one, I'd like to get a handle on whether or not the transformer will be a good candidate.

All ruminations welcome...
...Jim

Sound OK to me.
The basic rule is, if your transformer does no smoke and faithfully converts voltages, whatever current it draws then on the primary is the good current. Otherwise, in case of shorted turns etc, you will either smoke or won't convert etc etc.

The idle current is simply 110V divided by the primary inductance's impedance which is your inductance in H, times 6.28, times 60 (Hz). Say, 1H inductance gives you roughly 370 Ohms which would create roughly 0.3A current.

Ok Thanks....

The transformer is working in the radio quite nicely.

...Jim

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
[-]
Recent Posts
Cannot Adjust an IF Transformer’s cores
Outstanding work indeed. I wish I could come up with solutions like this.slford310 — 11:16 PM
The abilities of our 'Phorum Pholks" never ceases to amaze me! Fantastic fabrication, Joseph! I'm waiting now for...GarySP — 08:27 PM
PT-6 antenna connections
Thanks. I never realized that was a notch noted in the schematic as described. I’ll recheck my wiring.bridkarl — 08:13 PM
Thank you! I was quite new to the Phorum when I started this post, so I feel like it might be advantageous to publish a ...jrblasde — 08:07 PM
PT-6 antenna connections
Notice in the schematic the notch at the bottom of the antenna coil is between pins 3 & 4. Yes, pin 6 of the 7C6 is...RodB — 07:34 PM
bridkarl
I have two PT-6 chassis. On both there is a blue wire that runs from the above chassis transformer to pin 6 of 7C6. So t...bridkarl — 07:23 PM
Joseph, now you are an engineer!!RodB — 06:37 PM
PT-6 antenna connections
Hi, reading your explanation I can see the confusion. If you take it one connection at a time it should result in a desi...RodB — 06:34 PM
It works! I received the PCBs this morning in the mail, and put everything together. I reused the base from the original...jrblasde — 04:32 PM
PT-6 antenna connections
I seem to have lost my way on this PT-6. I see the antenna aerial transformer schematic - I’m reading pins 1 through ...bridkarl — 12:30 PM

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently 4055 online users. [Complete List]
» 2 Member(s) | 4053 Guest(s)

>