Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average

Philco RP1 Record Player

Hello Philco radio buffs!  My name is Don Rathbun, I'm 72 years old and retired from GM.  I recently purchased a A record player I believe to be a Philco RP1 made in 1939.  It has two labels on the underside of the case.  One has the number 39-6267 and the other 10377-B.  The first one shows the schematic for the tubes.  The case is 13" deep x 14" wide x 6" high. The thing that bothers me is that it has a lid.  From what I found on the internet these players did not have a lid until 1940.  I'm thinking someone may have cut the case to make the lid.  If they did they are a fantastic craftsman.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the Phroum!
Icon_wave

You can post a picture to help with the ID but the RP-2 was like the RP-1 but had a lid.
See: http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1939b.htm#s

This one?

Attached Files Image(s)

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Kirk, I think you have one of everything...

Icon_lol 

Not a 503...SAM! Icon_twisted

But I have what Sam wants Icon_mrgreen

It is the RP-1 Don, No lid possible.. BAck is curved..

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

P.S. That is not my RP-2.. it was on eBay last week for $80.00..
I offered $65.00 but the seller thinks it is gold...
Crappy condition and a big crack...

As of 1/01/2021

Don 
Welcome to the phorum
You will find lot of helpful people here

Sam

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

(08-16-2016, 06:13 PM)sam Wrote:  Don 
Welcome to the phorum
You will find lot of helpful people here

Sam

And.... some not so helpful Icon_lol Icon_lol 
I'm just here for the company... sorta....  Icon_crazy

As of 1/01/2021

Icon_think Ehh don't pay attention to kirk 
He missed his shock therapy for the day  Icon_shh

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

(08-16-2016, 12:55 PM)Don Rathbun Wrote:  Hello Philco radio buffs!  My name is Don Rathbun, I'm 72 years old and retired from GM.  I recently purchased a A record player I believe to be a Philco RP1 made in 1939.  It has two labels on the underside of the case.  One has the number 39-6267 and the other 10377-B.  The first one shows the schematic for the tubes.  The case is 13" deep x 14" wide x 6" high. The thing that bothers me is that it has a lid.  From what I found on the internet these players did not have a lid until 1940.  I'm thinking someone may have cut the case to make the lid.  If they did they are a fantastic craftsman.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Don, try that last post again. Icon_smile

I am going to try and send some pictures.

OK that one worked. I do not see one exactly like that in the Photo Gallery. RP-2's were made between 39 and 42, I think. This is one for Ron or some of the guys more familiar with the Philco line up. They seem to have used different style cabinets for the RP-2s over the years, perhaps this is another version?

It is the later 1939 RP-2 as seen from the Radiomuseum

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/philco_rp_2...rd_pl.html

As of 1/01/2021

(08-16-2016, 03:23 PM)OldRestorer Wrote:  P.S. That is not my RP-2.. it was on eBay last week for $80.00..
I offered $65.00 but the seller thinks it is gold...
Crappy condition and a big crack...

Little does he know that you were doing him a favor, I would not have offered more then $15-20 for something in that shape.
Regards
Arran